PDA

View Full Version : sqlite3 “OperationalError: unable to open database file” in python only when I deploy

shaansweb
February 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Please help. I've been stuck on this issue for three days nw and I think I'm about to go mad.

I made an app in flask that uses an sqlite3 database. **The app works flawlessly when I run it using Flask's internal testing server.** However, when I attempt to deploy my app, either using apache2 or gunicorn+nginx, and the logs of whatever server I'm using shows the python exception "OperationalError: unable to open database file".

Here is the full file that's causing the error:

import sqlite3

__all__ = ['Database']

class Database(object):

def __init__(self, name):
self._name = name

def _execute(self, command, args=None):
connection = sqlite3.connect(self._name)
cursor = connection.cursor()

if args is None:
out = cursor.execute(command).fetchall()
else:
out = cursor.execute(command, args).fetchall()

connection.commit()
connection.close()
return out

The `connection = sqlite3.connect(self._name)` is the line that is actually triggering the error and I have no clue why. I have tried replacing `self._name` with a hard coded string to the path of the database to no avail. I have also made sure the database file has proper read write permissions.

Does anyone know how I can figure out what's going on?

ofnuts
February 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I would look for strange characters in filenames (dump the name used to file, open with hex editor and check that all characters have plain ASCII codes); Also are you using a relative or absolute path?

The Cog
February 18th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Permissions:
Make sure that the file is accessible to the user account that flask is running under. This is probably not the account that you used during manual testing.

Filename:
Use an absolute path (not relative) to eliminate the possibility that you are running in an unexpected current working director.
Check for odd characters and correct upper/lower case.

anant4
August 28th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Hi, I'm stuck with the same problem.
Did you find a solution for this?