PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 13.04: unable to connect to software repository

Mr. Farlops
February 17th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I have Raring Ringtail installed on my laptop and I've found I can't connect to the Software Center, to change or upgrade packages and applications. Nor can I upgrade the operating system to later versions of Ubuntu.

How do I point to the current repository? Or do I have to update the system quasi-manually with a live Ubuntu stick? Ideally I'd like to upgrade the system to an LTS version.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!

sudodus
February 17th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Start by backing up everything important, because upgrading or installing new operating systems and editing partitions are risky operations.

You can't upgrade directly to a supported version, and upgrading in two steps 13.04 --> 13.10 --> 14.04.1 LTS is cumbersome (extra difficult because 13.04 and 13.10 have passed end of life). Instead I would recommend that you make a fresh installation of 14.04.1 LTS.

If you want to keep your personal settings, you can save your home directory, and make a home partition of it. Then during the upgrade you select Something else at the partitioning window and select the /home partition. Do not format it.

Try Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, ...) before installing it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389)

Mr. Farlops
February 19th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Ah, yes, I sort of expected it would be something like this.

Thanks!