PDA

View Full Version : Imagine you are ...

recalcitrant
February 15th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Hello all ubuntu people

English is not my native language. I'd like to have a question to a English native speaker.
Imagine you work as a support consultant for a large TV company. A customer calls you with an issue and you need to register it on your computer system. I don't know how to say sth in English or how English people say it. I want to say:

Thank you for contacting us. Your case has been opened/registered [and now I want to say what No. it has] with/under the number 123456.
Which verb is better and which pronoun is suitable? Or shall I use other words?

Thank you

ian-weisser
February 16th, 2015, 12:23 AM
In writing or spoken recording:
We have opened Ticket #123456 for your issue. Thank you for letting us know about it.

Spoken (real human):
Thank you for calling to (ask/let us know). I am opening Ticket number 123456 for your (problem/complaint/issue/compliment/question).

"Your case is/has <something>" is a case of 'passive voice'. That kind of sentence is often considered pompous in English.

col48
February 19th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Ian's right. He presumably writes as an American, but the same is true this side of the Atlantic.

Using "I have" tells the listener that you have personally taken the responsibility of deciding that this is an issue worth taking up - even if you have no option but to do so! As a recipient, I would also like to have some estimate (however rough) of how long it will be before I get a further update, if this is relevant.

"We (because this is no longer just you, but the company) will get back to you within two weeks to let you know what progress has been made/to tell you how we will resolve the problem"