PDA

View Full Version : GRUB 2 not showing after Lubuntu install + Resolution issues

gordon688
February 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Still very new to Linux and Ubuntu, so I'll provide what info I can and then hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to provide more.

I purchased a computer from a UK company called Aleutia (http://www.aleutia.com/). I asked them to install Lubuntu 14.04 on it and ship it to me. When it arrived, it wouldn't boot. I was able to reinstall Lubuntu myself without any issues, however after the restart at the end of the install the same issue occurred. Just a blank screen after the initial motherboard splash. No cursor or anything.

The motherboard is a MITAC, and has HDMI and VGA outputs. If I plug in and use the HDMI output and leave the VGA unplugged, I can see the GRUB 2 menu and boot up. If I have both cables connected, I can't see anything. Once booted up, I can plug back in the VGA cable and switch to this until the next reboot.

Potentionally an unrelated issue, I have to use xrandr after logging in to add a custom resolution because nothing larger than 1024x768 show up in Monitor Settings. I haven't been able to figure out how to make this persistent yet though.

I have dug through forums posts for a few days now and tried various things without success. At this point I am fine with a fresh install and working through this issue step by step until it's resolved.

Please let me know what information I can provide.