PDA

View Full Version : Who here ordered the Ubuntu phone?

Linuxratty
February 14th, 2015, 01:30 AM
I'm just curious who has ordered one and would you mention it here when you get it?

yetimon_64
February 14th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Not until the the convergence features are implemented.

Smartphones are a "dumb" idea to me generally. However a phone that can be docked to give a PC or media center usage, that I would buy.

I got all excited on reading of the release, when I saw "no convergence features" :( have been included, I put down my credit card immediately.

I do hope to see the originally demonstrated concept come to fruition ASAP, then I`d make a purchase.

grahammechanical
February 14th, 2015, 04:00 AM
Regarding to the future, what are the future plans for Ubuntu Phone in the next two years?

In the next two years, if we fast forward to the end of that timeline is the dream of convergence. You know a phone that does all the things which we talk about today that changes the way users interact with their phones. But that also becomes the heart of all your personal computing devices. So back to what we hinted in the Ubuntu Edge campaign where your phone becomes to your pc, when you dock it.

So you are planning around two years to have an Ubuntu Edge like phone with all the features which were announced back then?

Well hopefully we will be faster than two years, but two years ahead I want that phone which is also my pc in the market. Even this bq phone is a significant step in that direction. There are foundations in the phone that makes us closer to that conversion vision. But right now we focus on teaching the world that there is another way to enjoy phone instead of just apps and app icons. It's time for a change.

https://svij.org/blog/2015/02/11/cristian-parrino-from-canonical-about-the-release-of-ubuntu-phone-and-future-plans/

mooreted
February 14th, 2015, 05:55 AM
That's what I was hoping for. Take my phone to work, plug it into a dock, use my mouse, keyboard and monitor. Take my phone home, plug it into my dock and keep working on the same stuff. Basically, taking my computer wherever I go.

philinux
February 14th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Seems to be selling very well.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/02/96735?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

I just bought an LG G3 over Christmas so I'm not in need of a new phone. If I was I might be tempted by it.

monkeybrain20122
February 14th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Not available in Canada. If I move to Spain I would get one, which is a possibility :)

Dragonbite
February 17th, 2015, 04:00 PM
When it is available in the USA (preferably Verizon, which I have) I'll look at one.

I'm in a unique position of never having a smartphone, and planning on getting my first smartphone sometime in the near future (my daughter stole my "dumb" phone so right now I am phone-less). So I don't have any pre-conceived notion of what a smartphone should be like or how it should work.

If they want a test, I'll gladly sign up (but somebody has to provide a phone)!

jakobsboertje
February 19th, 2015, 09:01 AM
As soon as we can get it in the US, I will be ordering one

sffvba[e0rt
February 19th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Who just ordered this phone... this guy...

sammiev
February 19th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Who just ordered this phone... this guy...

Interesting, Can't wait for your reviews. ;)