PDA

View Full Version : Examples of open source projects

pavelexpertov
February 13th, 2015, 12:49 AM
Hello everybody!!!!!
I am writing a report for my assignment and it is about opensource technology and its community within IT industry and beyond.
I already have some examples, but I was wondering if you, the passionate community, can help me out by giving a variety of examples that the whole opensource community and technology did for the IT sector as well as other sectors(economy, education, etc.)!!!!
Please, also provide issues with your examples if you can and these issues can be either positive, negative or both. These issues should relate to social, professional, ethical or legal aspects (or combined), because it will help me see what kind of impacts your examples brought to this world.
I know it may seem that I am being lazy (like I said I already have some examples), but I would like to see what examples of opensource the community can provide and I want the report to show them and their impacts on society and industries. Please, do spread the word about this!!!!!!!
My list of examples:
1. Bitcoin -- decentralised system, opensource, anonymous transactions.
2. Linux and Opensource licenses -- Domination in certain markets (government, education, scientific), many distros suit different needs, licences allow people to change code and share it.
3. Tor & annonymous software -- Tails os, tor network, encryption.
4. Raspberry Pi & Arduino boards -- used for tiny and big projects, education for younger generation.
5. Android -- cheap smartphones for third world countries, people can customise it --> cyanogenmod.
6. Opensource community -- sharing knowledge as well as programs voluntarily, contribution of fixing bugs and making improvements.

Once my report is completed, I will post it in the forum for you to read!!!
Thank you very much!!!!!!!
P.S. If you can think of any articles or websites that can support your examples, please share them. Thank you!
NOTE: I am making a short list of examples and it will be posted as soon as possible!!

bashiergui
February 13th, 2015, 01:53 AM
An open source report on open source. So meta.

Maybe this will help
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daviderickson/718933691/
#nothelpful

Elfy
February 13th, 2015, 10:00 AM
How about you tell us what examples you do have first , so we're not suggesting things you already have. We'd hate to be the ones doing all the work here ;)

While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums is not a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you.

mastablasta
February 13th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I know it may seem that I am being lazy (like I said I already have some examples), but I would like to see what examples of opensource the community can provide and I want the report to show them and their impacts on society and industries. Please, do spread the word about this!!!!!!!

for example opensource powering mutibilion dollar industries such as Smart Phone industry (Adnroid), search giant google and social network giant facebook. or the international space station or various porjects made with Raspberry Pi.

fkkroundabout
February 14th, 2015, 04:40 PM
i think this would be a good starting point:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

oh and of course supercomputers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500

sorry i'm not in too motivated a mood to write extensively, but if i think of something good i'll post again

PondPuppy
February 14th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Here are some questions for you to research:

Is the Apache web-server open-source? How widely is it used? What difference has it made in the Internet? How about the SQLite database (which is probably in your phone and tablet and web browser)? What about OpenSSL?

What software is used by dissidents around the world when a secure OS is needed (think TAILS, Liberte, etc), and for encrypting files and communication? Which of these applications are open-source software? How have these enabled changes in the geopolitical world in the 21st century?

Expand on these ideas.

Addendum : Oh, and one more thing. Does your school use Moodle? The university where my wife teaches uses Moodle, and it is FOSS. Might be interesting to your instructor.

Elfy
February 15th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Closed.

When the OP comes back with what they might have done - I'll re-open it if I'm convinced.

pavelexpertov
February 24th, 2015, 01:22 AM
Hello, guys my post has been reopened and I added a list of examples:
1. Bitcoin -- decentralised system, opensource, anonymous transactions.
2. Linux and Opensource licenses -- Domination in certain markets (government, education, scientific), many distros suit different needs, licences allow people to change code and share it.
3. Tor & annonymous software -- Tails os, tor network, encryption.
4. Raspberry Pi & Arduino boards -- used for tiny and big projects, education for younger generation.
5. Android -- cheap smartphones for third world countries, people can customise it --> cyanogenmod.
6. Opensource community -- sharing knowledge as well as programs voluntarily, contribution of fixing bugs and making improvements.

mörgæs
March 1st, 2015, 12:06 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/article/french-police-move-from-windows-to-ubuntu-linux/

mikodo
March 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM
Have a look at this article. I think the idea of open-source, is more than just coding and IT in part because of the FOSS.

http://opensource.com/education/13/4/guide-open-source-education