PDA

View Full Version : how to shift the display on the monitor?

niko11
February 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I just installed Mint 17 on my desktop PC.
Up to now there are no real problems. But the display on my monitor is shifted to the right so that only half of the icons on the left edge are visible.

My monitor is a Medion Flat Pro but Ubuntu recognized a Messeltronic Dresden 19" monitor.

How can I set the correct monitor type or shift the display some pixels to the right?

With a solution to this minor problem Mint would be wonderful.;)

Niko

ajgreeny
February 8th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Is it attached by a VGA or DVI cable? My monitor was always a few pixels to the left when using a VGA connection, but only at one of the two refresh rates (can't remember which). On getting a DVI cable, everything is centered properly whatever the refresh rate.

See if playing with available refresh rates makes any difference for you if using VGA.

kostkon
February 8th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Have you already tried using the On Screen Menu / Control Panel of your monitor to auto-setup or manually change the horizontal alignment of the image?

RobertoRecordo
September 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I found this posting when trying to resolve the "desktop shifted" problem on my system. It was a new install of Ubuntu Gnome 15.04, so I was certain it was a software problem.

Switching the monitor off and on was all it took to put the desktop back in the center of the monitor. The monitor is pretty old, it may be the entire problem.