PDA

View Full Version : Dead Drops: Hidden USB Sticks Offer Anonymous File Sharing

mooreted
February 8th, 2015, 01:21 AM
If you happened to notice a USB stick poking out of a brick wall in an urban space, would you be brave enough to connect your computer to it just to see what it might contain? Will it dump a bunch of malicious software onto your machine, or reveal something amazing? You just never know. The Dead Drops offline peer-to-peer file sharing project has been called “the nerd equivalent to glory holes,” bringing the sense of anonymity provided by the internet into the real world in a way that feels conspicuously sketchy.

http://weburbanist.com/2015/02/06/dead-drops-hidden-usb-sticks-offer-anonymous-file-sharing/

sammiev
February 8th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Not a chance.

Mike_Walsh
February 8th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Hmmm.....

Should I....or shouldn't I? :-k Eeny,meeny, miny, mo...........don't think so, somehow!

But there'll be plenty of people who WILL... #-o

Regards,

Mike.

kpatz
February 8th, 2015, 02:28 AM
On an isolated, sandboxed machine that you don't care about wiping/reinstalling afterward (or a snapshotted VM), sure.

mooreted
February 8th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Suppose that someone put a healthy charge through that USB port. You would want to pick a device that you don't mind if it catches fire.

Habitual
February 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Treat all foreign USBs as if they were used syringes.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM
...The Dead Drops offline peer-to-peer file sharing project has been called “the nerd equivalent to glory holes,” ...

I do not trust any usb devices that are not my own. I sure wouldn't plug it into my computer.

Out of curiosity, I used the sites database to locate one about 10 miles away from me. I know the reputation of the area, and judging by that, the term "glory hole" is probable a good description of its contents -- disgusting.

grahammechanical
February 9th, 2015, 01:54 AM
How were computers infected with malicious code in the days when most machines did not have an Internet connection? By people sticking a floppy disc with malware on it in the machine. The advice given in those days still applies today - only from trusted sources. Otherwise history will repeat itself.

Regards.

mooreted
February 9th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I bet some do it just for the thrill and morbid curiosity. I will keep an eye out for the next headline in which someone gets screwed bad.

SantaFe
February 9th, 2015, 03:52 AM
If I had an old laptop, sure. It would HAVE to have Windows on it though so there would be SOME fun out of it. :D

HermanAB
February 9th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Well, if you are running Linux, then I fail to see the problem with sticking random USB sticks in. Unless you are worried about it containing thermite or some such.

open2reason
February 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Wonder if given a bit of time one could, with a Linux machine rewrite these USB devices into a LiveUSB running Ubuntu 12.4lts?

coldraven
February 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Bad idea! Did you not read about BadUSB?
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/07/this-thumbdrive-hacks-computers-badusb-exploit-makes-devices-turn-evil/

mooreted
February 9th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Those crazy Black Hat guys. If I ever go to one of those conferences, I'm not taking anything with me.

mc4man
February 9th, 2015, 11:11 PM
I would, though likely on an install not online
Does remind about -
Around 20 years ago I was driving in my work truck on an entrance ramp to the interstate, coming around the curve saw a state cop car & about 20 yards in front of him a black briefcase upright in the shoulder.
Always have wondered what I would have done if the cop wasn't there, probably would have figured some way to ck. out
(- maybe have tied a rope to handle & dragged down the road a bit for starters..

bashiergui
February 10th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Well, if you are running Linux, then I fail to see the problem with sticking random USB sticks in. Unless you are worried about it containing thermite or some such.If you believe that then I've got a usb stick for you.

tgalati4
February 10th, 2015, 04:43 AM
It would not be difficult to modify a USB stick and apply 120 or 230 VAC to it. That would take out any computer that plugs into it. Of course, it should have a sign above it: "Do you feel lucky?"

SantaFe
February 10th, 2015, 05:16 AM
It would not be difficult to modify a USB stick and apply 120 or 230 VAC to it. That would take out any computer that plugs into it. Of course, it should have a sign above it: "Do you feel lucky?"That's a reVOLTing idea. One would have to have a NEGATIVE attitude to get a CHARGE out of that. :p

tgalati4
February 10th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Well, you could stick your tongue into the USB connector. If you get a shock, then you can be reasonably sure that there is voltage on the stick and that would remind you not to connect your computer to random USB sticks.