PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS Live CD hangs up

Saad_Afridi
February 6th, 2015, 04:48 AM
I'm trying to install 14.04 LTS 64bit on my machine in a dual boot setup with Win 7. I searched the forum but could not find the issue I have documented here. Basically, I have set aside space for my Ubuntu install by creating some unallocated space on my drive in Win.

Now when I try to boot the live CD installation it boots to this screen with an empty Ubuntu desktop and the install dialog never comes up (the one that prompts to try or install Ubuntu). Is there a reason for this or some way to manually trigger the dialog? I'm at a loss here regarding what to do. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/WRMh995.jpg

Note: I've already verified the data integrity of the disc and have even used two different discs just to make sure.

grahammechanical
February 6th, 2015, 05:28 AM
There is another way.

At the first purple screen with the icons of a keyboard and a human press Enter. At the next screen select the language (English default) and press Enter. You should now be at a text based screen with both the Try Ubuntu and Install Ubuntu options.

Regards

carl4926
February 6th, 2015, 05:42 AM
I'd be a little hesitant to proceed with the install before you can establish what the problem might be.
Do you have access to other Ubuntu CD's or other Linux distros that do boot successfully?
From there we could get useful info that might help.

Saad_Afridi
February 6th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I just realized I'm a huge idiot and that the problem was multiple displays. I have my machine connected via hdmi to a TV in another room, which was being treated as the primary display, which is why I wasn't seeing anything on my normal monitor. This did not occur to me initially!

I've already 'fixed' the issue, and have installed Ubuntu. Up and running now!