PDA

View Full Version : Are "newbie" threads dying out?

JeQhdMD
February 5th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems the activity level at the "new to ubuntu" forum is way down from levels of even a year ago (or especially 3-6 years ago). If so, what if anything does that mean? Are new users to Ubuntu declining, if so, is there a connection to the "challenges" of installing Linux with current hardware (e.g., uefi/gpt)?

My last install on a new system was the easiest of any system I ever had . . . . I just went to System76 and ordered a new PC. I tend to believe however, that most new linux users are not very aware of the existence or possibility of these options (buying pre-loaded PC's) - - but could that be a reason for the reduced "newbie" input? (if it really is reduced, maybe it's just my incorrect conclusion).

Elfy
February 5th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I can think of a couple of reasons - more of the simple issues that plague most are easy to find support for without needing to post, there are more support venues in the mix now. No need to do anything but read for the most part.

Roasted
February 5th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I still see an array of basic questions on askubuntu.com. That seems to be more of a "hub" for stuff like that in some ways. Whenever I talk about forums I still get people who look at me like I'm speaking a different language to them, as they have never experienced forums and as a result aren't sure how to get started. Likewise, I think joining some Ubuntu communities on G+ helps as well. Something like G+ does not replace the forums, but given that most people already have a Google account, I find it's easy to dig up responses relating to Ubuntu assistance when Googling around. Pull up the page, join community, boom. I've certainly seen an influx in G+ traffic in regard to support related issues across all distros (I must be following 18-20 distros on G+).

grahammechanical
February 5th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I cannot say if the number of threads in the New to Ubuntu section is getting less each year or not but I have noticed that there are a lot of posts from people who are wanting to do things that a new Linux/Ubuntu user should not be trying to do. Many of those posting in that section are clearly not new to either Ubuntu or Linux.

Perhaps that section of the forum is not seen as a place to ask about the things that an absolutely new user wants to know. People wanting to know the new user kind of stuff might be put off by thinking that they are asking a stupid question. Especially, if they do not see others asking those kind of questions.

Prospective new to Linux/Ubuntu users would be seeking information on installing or fixing broken installation problems. I see lots of threads about installing on Windows 8 machines but not in the New to Ubuntu section. We do have a General and a Installation and Upgrade section. Although I have noticed that the labels on the sections are often ignored.

Also keep in mind that this forum and other support web sites are visited by those seeking help. Those who are not sick do not need a doctor. The number of people waiting to consult a doctor is no indication of the population level.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 5th, 2015, 09:50 PM
I can think of a couple of reasons - more of the simple issues that plague most are easy to find support for without needing to post, there are more support venues in the mix now. No need to do anything but read for the most part.

I would also add that the support section has been reorganized. Some of what is posted in the General Support used to be in New to Ubuntu.

Tar_Ni
February 5th, 2015, 10:14 PM
My last install on a new system was the easiest of any system I ever had . . . . I just went to System76 and ordered a new PC. I tend to believe however, that most new linux users are not very aware of the existence or possibility of these options (buying pre-loaded PC's) - - but could that be a reason for the reduced "newbie" input? (if it really is reduced, maybe it's just my incorrect conclusion).

Even as a newbie I couldn't afford a System76 machine. Heck, the 'cheapest' one is 800$+shipping rates. You can have a decent Windows laptop for 450-500$ meeting all the basic needs in any store these days. Not everyone is a gamer or a developper. That has always been my problem with Linux pre-loaded retailers in Canada, they are only selling high-end hardware! A lot of people going over to Linux are doing so because they no longer want to pay for Windows and may not be able to afford a new computer. Their budget may be limited. If they are not introduced to Linux and are looking for an alternative to Windows, then they may well end up buying a chromebook which won't ruined them.

michael256
February 6th, 2015, 12:55 AM
I've used GNU/Linux for 5 years, never needed the forms really. if you have a problem is probably already happened to someone else and you can google for the answer.

Habitual
February 6th, 2015, 01:18 AM
...if you have a problem is probably already happened to someone else and you can google for the answer.Amen to that!

Seems RTFM is "deja vu all over again"...

Linuxratty
February 7th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Well I mainly use our little forum for support. I also see the Ubuntu section and Linux For Noobs at Reddit getting a bucket load of traffic. No worries, Ubuntu is not going anywhere.):P

Bucky Ball
February 7th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I don't know the stats, but if anything I have seen an increase in new users, particularly after XP popped its clogs awhile ago. Quite and influx. When I first got on here first time posters weren't a daily occurence that I saw. Now I come across maybe a half dozen first timers a day (but I trawl about here quite a bit!). ;)

Probably wouldn't see quite so many if some read the first link in my signature, but perhaps that is part of changing the mindset to Linux where it is about finding answers, community and research a little more than it possibly is with some other OSs.

JeQhdMD
February 7th, 2015, 04:50 AM
Well Linuxratty, that's awful good to hear! :lolflag:

Still, I wonder if the uncertainty and complexity it now takes to install (really "retrofit") newer PC's having efi/secure boot, etc. has cut back on numbers of new users by XX% (20 or 30 percent failure rates would not surprise me). I notice that standard BIOS machines are still available (but one would have to do a lot of work to track down the OEM/ODM's that offer such machines). (one that does is Clevo).

Linuxratty
February 7th, 2015, 05:04 PM
JeQhdMD, I wonder how much the the secure boot nonsense has caused people to give up as well. My "newish" machine,a Dell refurbished Optiplex 745 didn't have secure boot,so bending it to my will was easy.:twisted:

Bucky Ball: That's refreshing to read and just brings a smile to my face. I see the Ubuntu phone is out as well,which should bring yet more attention to Ubuntu.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31148661

Mike_Walsh
February 8th, 2015, 01:41 AM
I cannot say if the number of threads in the New to Ubuntu section is getting less each year or not but I have noticed that there are a lot of posts from people who are wanting to do things that a new Linux/Ubuntu user should not be trying to do. Many of those posting in that section are clearly not new to either Ubuntu or Linux.

I've got to agree with Graham on this one. I've been on the forums for about nine months now, and even in that time there doesn't seem to be as many people asking stuff in the 'New to Ubuntu' section. And those that do, are, as he says, clearly NOT novices, judging by some of the subject matter.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. I may be relatively new to Linux, but I've been using these things since the late 70's, and have probably tried nearly every O/S there is over those 35 years or so. From what I recall, most of MY early posts did indeed relate to many of the basic things; how to set up printing, file transfer, how do you use the terminal, how do you add software.....the kind of things you would expect newcomers to want to know. I've never been afraid to ask for help....and find the regulars on here to be friendly, knowledgeable, and happy to offer advice and suggestions; a very decent bunch of individuals. And I think Bucky's right; there HAS been an influx of ex-XP users, like myself, since I joined back in May last year.....although not perhaps as many as might have been expected.

Interestingly, I have come across a handful of threads in recent months which have been composed entirely of 'newbies' (with only a few 'beans' between them!) all helping each other out; which is nice to see...

I also take my younger brother's advice to heart; 'Google is your friend'. As you learn how to phrase your search terms more accurately, you are able to find answers to pretty much anything you want. But I just like the community 'spirit' on the forums, which makes it a pleasure to 'hang out' here..!

Regards,

Mike. :)

help_me2
February 10th, 2015, 03:52 AM
I think it's a two-fold thing.

1. The average person still uses windows or mac.

2. Linux (with the help of Android and the fact that linux is embedded in almost every device these days, and the net basically runs on linux) has become a must-know as far as tech people are concerned. If you are thinking of getting into programming, IT, or any variant of, you pretty much have to be proficient in linux at this stage. I think people these days are more tech savvy and can find out answers just by googling. It's a rare problem that can't be fixed by searching.

But yeah, compared to 2008 to 2011 or so, the posts here have dropped.

MrSteve
February 10th, 2015, 05:31 AM
i believe several things have come to pass which may mean the new help requests are fewer
Ubuntu has moved mountains since it was first released and most installs go without a hitch
a lot more howto's are available on line which users can read to troubleshoot their problem
also a lot more users of Linux have resolved most of the problems and that info is readily available
hardware compatibility and the Linux driver base has improved massively and has expanded

the LTS releases have also smoothed out many problems that users faced. these are just my thoughts ...

sffvba[e0rt
February 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM
... must keep in mind that the ease of installation and out of box hardware support has never been this high before... if it just works why would you need to ask for support :)

jminor2
February 12th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Its true there is a lot on information that a newbie can access simply by doing a Google it search, but often it has terms and information that is over a newbies head. Or has much more information than was requested. I'm a total noob, and went straight to the newbie thread because I figured the folks would realize my limited knowledge and offer simple and to the point solutions. And that is exactly what happened for me. Now I am in the learning process and hope to be able to help others new to Ubuntu and Linux as well.....
John

DougieFresh4U
February 13th, 2015, 03:43 AM
... must keep in mind that the ease of installation and out of box hardware support has never been this high before... if it just works why would you need to ask for support :)

I must agree with you. I think back to when I first joined the 'Forum' and the questions I was asking seem to be a non-issue when installing now. I would get the 2 cd set from ship-it (Breezy Badger) and one or two updates and your X was 'borked'!! :lolflag:
Most questions have been asked and answered and yes, GOOGLE is your friend.