PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Chrome description stuck despite efforts to fix it

f41lurizer
February 5th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Hello everybody,

I have a quick question about something that has been slowly driving me insane for a while.

So, when I use the google chrome web browser, every time I hover the mouse over it, it shows this: http://i.imgur.com/laiHHC2.jpg , regardless of what page is actually loaded. I have tried the following to get this to go away:

Restart computer
Purge
Remove configuration files ( the ones in ~/.config/google-chrome)
restart again just to be safe
then reinstalling

This problem just keeps on persisting. To be clear, my problem is that it shows some reddit thread as the description regardless of what is actually in the browser.

Thanks in advance for the help,
f41lurizer

Frogs Hair
February 6th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Hello and Welcome

With the browser closed right click the luncher to remove it from the panel. Open the browser by searching in dash and clear the browser history and cookies.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

With the browser still open, right click the browser icon to lock it to the launcher and see if the description is still there.

f41lurizer
February 8th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Hello, thank you for your suggestion. It did not resolve the issue.

Frogs Hair
February 9th, 2015, 01:28 AM
You might look to the Google forums also . At least you might find out why it is linked to that site.

vasa1
February 9th, 2015, 03:17 AM
... I have tried the following to get this to go away:

Restart computer
Purge
Remove configuration files ( the ones in ~/.config/google-chrome)
restart again just to be safe
then reinstalling

This problem just keeps on persisting. To be clear, my problem is that it shows some reddit thread as the description regardless of what is actually in the browser.

Please provide the exact commands preferably by copy/pasting the terminal output here between [ CODE ][ /CODE ] tags. Purge by itself isn't a valid command.

Also:
Have you disabled sync?
Have you disabled allowing Chrome processes to run in the background?
Have you tried with a new Chrome user?