PDA

View Full Version : These forums have gotten HUGE!

plb
July 31st, 2006, 02:26 PM
I was here just a few months back and it had around 60,000 or so members now over 142,000! That's incredible growth.

mips
July 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Would like to know the activity status of those 142000 members. I suspect a lot of them a dormant accounts.

Lord Illidan
July 31st, 2006, 02:40 PM
Would like to know the activity status of those 142000 members. I suspect a lot of them a dormant accounts.

Or spammers. Or people who logged in once, made a question, got answered, and forgot about it. I constantly see the same people on these forums.

andlinux21
July 31st, 2006, 02:44 PM
you do have a lot of the same people in the forums but you have some that just pop in and out so the accounts are not spammers per say but people that just dont have many problems with there systems. Once I got my laptop up and running I havent had to do much else to it. I come to the forums almost daily just to see what problems other people run into. I dont know that much but there are somedays when I can actually answer a question or two.

ubuntu_demon
August 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Here are some ubuntuforums statistics :
http://www.big-boards.com/board/1623/

Vlatko
August 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
i have joined here half year ago when i first tried linux. lots happened since then, i am slowly getting the hang of it. :D anyway folks here are extremely helpful and quick in their replies. not much i can help to others but i stick around and maybe advise some noob. but certainly this is the best support board i have seen.

jISh
August 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
I quit most other forums now and just post here when I have some spare time, it's good to lurk around and help some people or just chat here in the cafe.

Rackerz
August 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Yep, I was here back when Breezy had just been released. The forums have gained massive growth since Dapper was released.

NESFreak
August 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
you do have a lot of the same people in the forums but you have some that just pop in and out so the accounts are not spammers per say but people that just dont have many problems with there systems. Once I got my laptop up and running I havent had to do much else to it. I come to the forums almost daily just to see what problems other people run into. I dont know that much but there are somedays when I can actually answer a question or two.

same for me

deepank
August 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
I have just installed ubuntu 2 days back and this is the best forum i have run into . People are helpful over here and although my queries are extremely simple, but I think tough queries are also being answered due to the sheer number of experts on this forum.

aysiu
August 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
But even when we had 60,000 members, there were spammers and dormant accounts. Now, you could argue that as you grow "larger," you attract a greater percentage of these spammer people, but even dormant accounts indicate growth.

I'd imagine a lot of people sign up for the forums, ask a few questions to get Ubuntu set up, and then never come back again. That's fine. That's still growth. People don't have to be commenting on the latest KDE v. Gnome thread in order to be forum members.

Bezmotivnik
August 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
The only stat that really tells you much of significance is the number of users online.

At peak, it seems to be around THREE THOUSAND, and at the moment it's about 2400.

That's a busy forum, folks!

Perfect Storm
August 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Spammers/banned people are filtered from the member counter.

Well the forum have grown considerable since I started :mrgreen: (member number 19)

KiwiNZ
August 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
When I joined there was just a few . I am member 9

Brunellus
August 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
where are you guys reading your member number from?

Perfect Storm
August 2nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
I just checked my Gallery stuff, then choose show all your stuff, then the link in your browser is showing your member number.
(But there's properly an easier way)