PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [dual boot]How do I select windows 7 in boot menu?

ephraim4
February 2nd, 2015, 02:30 AM
okay,i did not get the boot screen to choose the os,it used to directly go to win 7
now after grub repairing,it directly goes to ubuntu!
how to i get the option to fix it?
[New user]

Bucky Ball
February 2nd, 2015, 03:27 AM
Welcome. You mean you are getting no options to choose an operating system at boot? If not, restart the machine and hold down shift after the manufacturer's splash screen at boot. That should bring up the grub menu with Windows on it.

To make it permanent, so you see the options at every boot, open a terminal in Ubuntu and type:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change the first four lines of that file to look like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Now you should be able to select OS on every restart/boot. If Windows is not on that list, try:

sudo update-grub

Reboot and see if it has found Windows (you should be able to tell by the output of that command as grub checks for other OSs).

fantab
February 2nd, 2015, 06:09 AM
okay,i did not get the boot screen to choose the os,it used to directly go to win 7
now after grub repairing,it directly goes to ubuntu!
how to i get the option to fix it?
[New user]

We need more info regarding your boot process.
Install Boot-Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) tool -> 'create Bootinfo Summary' -> note the url link to bootinfo file and post the link back here.
That should give us most of the info we need.

ephraim4
February 2nd, 2015, 10:53 AM
We need more info regarding your boot process.
Install Boot-Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) tool -> 'create Bootinfo Summary' -> note the url link to bootinfo file and post the link back here.
That should give us most of the info we need.
paste.ubuntu.com/10006067

ephraim4
February 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
Welcome. You mean you are getting no options to choose an operating system at boot? If not, restart the machine and hold down shift after the manufacturer's splash screen at boot. That should bring up the grub menu with Windows on it.

To make it permanent, so you see the options at every boot, open a terminal in Ubuntu and type:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change the first four lines of that file to look like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

Now you should be able to select OS on every restart/boot. If Windows is not on that list, try:

sudo update-grub

Reboot and see if it has found Windows (you should be able to tell by the output of that command as grub checks for other OSs).
Thanks a lot mate!
I dont know how to thankyou! :KS:KS

Bucky Ball
February 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
A pleasure. Sounds like it's all working so that is good news. Good luck and enjoy the ride. ;)