PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Ubuntu.....or does he have a point? Thoughts?

Mike_Walsh
February 2nd, 2015, 12:48 AM
https://tim.siosm.fr/blog/2014/04/25/why-not-ubuntu-14.04-lts/

Came across this blog last night. I find it hard to believe some of the points he raises; especially the stuff he's saying about the 3.13 kernel. Even more so, the stuff about Mir. Sorry if this is another of those points that's been mooted ad nauseam, but I was wondering if anybody else has come across it, and if so, what are your thoughts/comments?

FUD.....or simply more 'click bait'? :)

Regards,

Mike.

grahammechanical
February 2nd, 2015, 01:20 AM
If it is that kind of blog, then I have no intention of reading it.

The Linux kernel is not unique to Ubuntu which has since adopted later revisions of the kernel. As far as I am concerned the Linux kernel is a gift. Where would be be without it?

As regards Mir I do not think we would be having a Ubuntu phone released for retail in the coming weeks without Mir. There are compelling security reasons for getting away from the Xserver. The alternative being offered is the Wayland protocol. Is there one Linux distribution running on a Wayland compositor? I have tried the Rebecca Black OS. It was interesting but still a long way to go. This is not surprising as the Rebecca Black OS is the work of one developer and that is commendable.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/

And then there is this attempt to get money out of people

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTczNTA

Those technical goals alone are rather lofty seeing as MATE doesn't even have Wayland support right now,

The challenge for the Ubuntu engineers is not to get Ubuntu running on Mir but to make possible all the fancy effects that people like doing to a UI. As the singer said, "The times they are a changing."

Regards.

Irihapeti
February 2nd, 2015, 01:57 AM
I used to worry a lot about the various blog articles telling us what is and isn't worth doing. I think it's normal to want to be well-informed and discerning - no one likes being told that the focus of their energies is so much junk and that they're out of touch with reality.

But I came to realise over time that there's an endless supply of that kind of article/blog post on the internet, and if I tried to get my head around all of them, I'd never get anything done. (My head might even explode.) I've decided that what matters is how well it works for me, in my particular set of circumstances.

I've been using Ubuntu for 7-1/2 years, which isn't long compared to some people, and I find it does what I want it to, which includes exchanging documents with a certain set of other people. I also have a Windows install that I use when I need to. I focus on effectiveness (a.k.a. doing the job I want), and I don't worry too much about what others want to do.

I find that works for me.

d-cosner
February 2nd, 2015, 03:06 AM
I agree. You can't let blog posts or articles influence you. We all make our own decisions based on what works best for our needs and circumstances. Who cares what some blog post has to say, it's nothing more than that persons opinion anyway.

ian-weisser
February 2nd, 2015, 03:30 AM
Pure FUD click-bait.
We've seen tons of this over the years, more as Ubuntu adoption has grown.

The author has 6 reasons listed. I count three that are pure FUD, two that are factually wrong (and the author has admitted so in the updates), and one that is factually wrong without author admission.
So he may not like the particular kernel version that Ubuntu used for 14.04.0,
nor how Canonical is seeding random numbers,
nor how Debian and Ubuntu start services at boot,
and he may firmly believe that a display server is vitally important to everyone and will love X forever,

but I disagree with him,
his facts are batting only 50%,
and many of the conclusions he draws from those facts seems rather tenuous.

mikodo
February 2nd, 2015, 05:51 AM
FUD.....or simply more 'click bait'?Both! I read the part about the LTS kernel. My conclusion is just like you said, and only gave the rest a cursory glance.

Maintaining patch security fixes to kernels, I am sure is not "brain surgery". The maintainer needs to stay on top of what needs to be changed/fixed, as needed and do it. Canonical/Ubuntu, had it's reasons for choosing the kernel it did, and is quietly looking after their "own" packet set, that works for that releases's goals.

dah dah dah dah ... dah dah dah dah ... Hey! Hey! Hey! ... Goodbye!

protoss96
February 2nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Hmm, every person should look for something standardized, and thats because he is pointing to CentOS 7 for Desktop and Servers, Red Hat is known for extreme stability and Enterprise quality. I tried RHEL 7, and you can actually run Steam and all software you are running right now on your Linux Boxes.

Even if i think that RHEL produces best operating systems, that guy cannot speak like that for Ubuntu, such a nonsense. Even if kernel is not LTS version, Canonical makes that happen for specific versions, and if someone dont like current kernel, just compile different version, or install different binary packages, nothing is hard..... Too many arguments this days........

Mike_Walsh
February 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM
I tend to agree with most of the sentiments expressed by everyone who's replied. I, too, am coming to realise that there is an awful lot of 'distro-bashing' out there; and it certainly isn't confined to the general back-and-forth you get from fanboys of the various MAJOR platforms (Windows, Apple, & of course, Linux). It seems (I guess due to the sheer variety of 'variations on a theme' that there are in the Linux camp), that there's probably more xenophobia at the home base than there will EVER be in the outfield.

Astounds me the number of people who insist that Linux would be better if all distros 'standardised' on a common set of implementations. Why, for heavens sake? To my way of thinking, after less than a year using GNU/Linux, it's that sheer 'variety' that means I can find the exact combination that suits my personal requirements.....and that's worth a thousand of any 'fanboy's' protestations to the contrary.

But I came to realise over time that there's an endless supply of that kind of article/blog post on the internet, and if I tried to get my head around all of them, I'd never get anything done. (My head might even explode.) I've decided that what matters is how well it works for me, in my particular set of circumstances.

Thanks for your 'down-to-earth' common sense as always, Irihapeti! I must agree; the only thing that really matters to me is whether it fulfils MY needs.....and I'm happy to say that it MORE than does so.

As far as I am concerned the Linux kernel is a gift. Where would we be without it?

Too true. Despite all the 'revelations' about Linus in recent years, the man's legacy is still very much with us.....and him. And the kernel's development has already been taken up enthusiastically by the next generation.

Thank you, Linus.

Regards,

Mike.

Linuxratty
February 3rd, 2015, 04:17 PM
I just ignore stuff like that. I've used Ubuntu or Ubuntu based distros for most likely longer than that ranter has been on line. I have no interest in reading this and would never even click on a link to that nonsense.

RichardET
February 4th, 2015, 02:25 AM
https://tim.siosm.fr/blog/2014/04/25/why-not-ubuntu-14.04-lts/

Came across this blog last night. I find it hard to believe some of the points he raises; especially the stuff he's saying about the 3.13 kernel. Even more so, the stuff about Mir. Sorry if this is another of those points that's been mooted ad nauseam, but I was wondering if anybody else has come across it, and if so, what are your thoughts/comments?

FUD.....or simply more 'click bait'? :)

Regards,

Mike.

I couldn't get through the blog - it's one of the worst examples of a blog I have ever encountered. I doubt that this guy knows anything about Linux or Unix, or *BSD internals. He seems to like servers and asserts that only RHEL or CENTOS are worthy of distinction - Unless he's also willing to consider OpenBSD, then in my view, he is ignorant. Ignore this blog in favor of making your own well informed opinions.

sffvba[e0rt
February 4th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Finally took a moment to actually read the blog post even though I was pretty sure of what I would find and turns out it was as I expected... Not worth the time I took to read it :/

Linuxratty
February 7th, 2015, 04:36 AM
Finally took a moment to actually read the blog post even though I was pretty sure of what I would find and turns out it was as I expected... Not worth the time I took to read it :/

And you will never get that time back! Oh the unfairness of it all.:evil: