PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.04.1 Does not install

gdfiggy
January 31st, 2015, 08:05 PM
My MB is an MSI K96PGM2-V2, I have 2 HD: 1: WDC3200AAJB-00J3A0 and 2: WDC2500AAJB-00TYA0. Also, there is a CD/DVD drive. The boot on drive 1 is probably corrupt and I would like to correct the problem and install Ubuntu there. I have used the Boot-Repair-Disk and Gparted, but am not skilled with either. After attempting the installation, I am told to restart system. I press return and remove the DVD when the drawer opens. After closing the drawer and the system restarts, I get the error message: no such device: cc5f7624-18ca-4bb4-b3a3-d87b4534eefa4. Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
Nothing entered seems to give me other information including help, ?, etc.
My system used to work with a dual boot installation of WinXP and Ubuntu12. The HDs no longer have any information from those installations, so recovery is not an option.
The CPU is an AMD Athlon 7850 Dual Core processor and I have 4GB RAM
Can I please get help with detailed instructions on what additional software I may need and where it is available. Also, please give detailed help on the steps needed to make my system boot into Ubuntu 14.04.1.
Since the MB is suspected of having other unrelated problems (CPU Temp sensor, Floppy Controller), I plan to replace the MB in this system.
GDFIGGY

gordie692
February 2nd, 2015, 06:59 PM
what hard drive are you putting Ubuntu on and usually what I do is unhook the one drive and install on the drive your putting linux on do all updates etc and then when your finished power down and re hook the second drive and your good to go I like simple ways the best hope this helps

egeezer
February 2nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
Best directions I know of are the two in this link (first is direct, but complicated, second is easier):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/493826/grub-rescue-problem-after-deleting-ubuntu-partition

gdfiggy
February 3rd, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thank you for your help. Ubuntu 14.04.1 seems to have been installed without the presence of the 250GB disk. This leaves me with one issue, the installation of the 250GB disk which apparently was the cause of my installation difficulties.