PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu LTS vs. Ubuntu LTS longevity

coastie2
January 29th, 2015, 06:27 PM
If I am correct, the longevity for Xubuntu LTS is only 3 years and the longevity for Ubuntu LTS is 5 years. Since Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, why isn't Xubuntu's longevity also 5 years?

PaulW2U
January 29th, 2015, 06:47 PM
If I am correct, the longevity for Xubuntu LTS is only 3 years and the longevity for Ubuntu LTS is 5 years. Since Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, why isn't Xubuntu's longevity also 5 years?

Any difference is related to support time of the desktop packages rather than the base packages.

The shorter period of three years is what matters in respect of the Xubuntu flavour.

vasa1
January 29th, 2015, 07:16 PM
If I am correct, the longevity for Xubuntu LTS is only 3 years and the longevity for Ubuntu LTS is 5 years. Since Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu, why isn't Xubuntu's longevity also 5 years?Maintaining the software specific to Xubuntu requires work. The Xubuntu team is smaller and I think most of the team members, if not all, are unpaid volunteers.

PaulW2U
January 29th, 2015, 08:42 PM
The Xubuntu team is smaller and I think most of the team members, if not all, are unpaid volunteers.

In common with other flavours, none of the Xubuntu team are Canonical employees. The team, of which I think there are just 11 members, cover all aspects of development, marketing and support.