PDA

View Full Version : Where are we on bug #1 come 2015?

blueturtl
January 28th, 2015, 06:28 PM
It's been a while since I was last on Ubuntu. I came on board during "Hoary" in 2005 and was very excited. Finally someone with vision was making the necessary changes to bring sane defaults and the robustness of Linux to the masses. I stayed true until 10.10 after which Unity was introduced. I wasn't very happy with that, nor with the fact that the six month release cycle always seemed to leave the final release of any given version just short of perfect. When something got fixed, something else broke.

I went to Debian after Unity came out, but after Debian made the move towards Gnome 3 it seemed like all the progress that had been made on the desktop was thrown away. Longing for the days of Gnome 2 with Compiz I tried using Mate, but with newer versions of apps being designed for the newer GTK I ran into issues with themes and skinning. Things that weren't broken had gotten fixed. Still no way to set screensaver preferences without ugly hacks either. This was like being thrown back into the pre-Ubuntu-days when nothing worked together very well.

I believe Mark Shuttlesworth has vision, but why didn't he put more effort into actively seeking partnerships with major OEMs? Did he really think that after the kinks in the software were worked out, people would download ISO images in hordes and make the migration themselves?

This may come off as a rant, but I'm genuinely stumped as to how things have turned out. Around 2010 I would have said Ubuntu only needs more commercial application developers and a deal with a major OEM to push it alongside Windows. Now with Gnome 3, Unity, Mate and KDE we have way more fragmentation than we originally had with just Gnome vs. KDE.

What has also happened since the dawn of Ubuntu is a major shift in personal computing from bulky desktops and laptops to more portable devices. The desktop and laptop market now looks more like a power user's domain than it did before. That begs the question of Ubuntu's relevance, since people who still have need of PCs are more likely to be tech savvy (and thus don't fear the manual set up and the hurdles to using Linux that Ubuntu was supposed to address).

So where are we with bug #1 come 2015?

deadflowr
January 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM
It was closed.
Simply because Microsoft no longer has the stranglehold on the computing market that it once did.
Mainly because of the surge in mobile computing...
Mark's comment on the closure here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1/comments/1834

blueturtl
January 28th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Wow.

That was concise. Er... I have nothing further, your honor. ;)

grahammechanical
January 28th, 2015, 08:47 PM
If you ask me, it was silly to report that as a bug. It set an example for reporting wishes as bugs which often never get fixed because development is going in a different direction. Wish list bugs cause work for the bug squad as they have to be triaged like any other bug.

Regards.

tgalati4
January 29th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Perhaps 2010 was the "Year of Linux on the Desktop."