PDA

View Full Version : From Zorin to Ubuntu

jim999
January 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys

I installed Zorin 9 on my machine, in the hope my Woman would embrace Linux. Hasn't worked! So I'd like to come back to the path of pure Ubuntu. However, after having it running for 6 months, I'm reluctant to go for the full rebuild from scratch, have many things set up and it burns a lot of time getting things right again.

So the question is, if I throw a Ubuntu disk in and run the installer, would it 'update' to ubuntu and keeop my installed software base as is? I'm hoping it might, as Zorin basically is Ubuntu under the hood and most of my software repositories point to it and work anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help given :-)

Jim

ajgreeny
January 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm not very hopeful, but I suppose you could try.

If Zorin uses synaptic package manager, and before you start your upgrade to Ubuntu, you may be able to find all the specific Zorin packages using the Origin filter in the left hand pane of synaptic, and remove any that are specifically Zorin's and nothing to do with Ubuntu repos. Then "throw a ubuntu disk in and run the installer", as you put it.

Is the version of Zorin that you used based on the same version of Ubuntu that you want to install? If it is, you may find that there is actually no need to run the installation disk, and that simply installing ubuntu-desktop will add all you need to give you a usable Ubuntu system.

However, I know very little of Zorin and it may be too different to let this happen as easily as I'm suggesting - ?
But - it might be worth a try!

grahammechanical
January 28th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I will put it this way.

If I was using Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Lubuntu I would not put a Ubuntu live session DVD in the drive and expect it to upgrade into Ubuntu. I have greater faith that Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu are closer to Ubuntu than Zorin is. And I still would not expect it to succeed.

jim999
January 29th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Hey ho, I was clutching at straws a bit I guess. Thanks for coming back guys.