PDA

View Full Version : I need a laptop

Zarkopafilis
January 28th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I've got my trusty home PC (running windows - ubuntu) and now I need a laptop (just because by moto x is just not enough for some stuff on the go)

300 euros budget
I've also got 3 x 2 GB and 1 x 4 GB DDR3 ram sticks lying around. I've also got a couple of 300 gig hdds (I am going to sell them and buy an ssd to upgrade the laptop maybe)

So pretty much that's it.
(I don't care if ubuntu is preinstalled or not , im going to do a fresh install anyway

open2reason
January 28th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Zarkopafilis

I've also got 3 x 2 GB and 1 x 4 GB DDR3 ram sticks lying around. Good you have some ram lying around but not all ram is created equal and not all ram works with all machines, you may well have to budget for diffrent ram depending on you proposed new laptop.

You may wish to browse several of the forums and look through the threads relating to building, making use of new kit and indeed what kit will meet you requirements. Lots of ideas, some good, some bad and some ugly but ideas / suggestions never the less.

mastablasta
January 28th, 2015, 03:01 PM
laptop usually uses so-dimm ram which is different form the one desktop computers use. it's smaller for starters.

for 300 EUR and new you will get various netbooks or subnotebook or whatever they are called. something with A4 or Pentium CPU (wattered down i3).

if oyu are after something small have a look at Pavilion dm1's. usually they work quite well. also there are some Asus models in that price range that will work well with linux. And maybe some Lenovos.

Zarkopafilis
January 28th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Oh my bad they are the so-dimm sticks :P (some laptops broke and i scavenged parts)
Thanks!

stalkingwolf
January 28th, 2015, 04:32 PM
ebay is a good place to go window shopping. lots of different models and manufacturers to see. I got my first EEE on ebay for 125.00 including shipping. It was almost new had been used for a week as i recall. i got a steal because it had the japanese version of windows on it and the keyboard had both japanese and english letters. oh yeah and several manufacturers have " outlet stores" on ebay as well.

PondPuppy
January 29th, 2015, 03:08 PM
You can get a decent (not great) laptop for under 300 euros. Amazon has a Dell Inspiron i15RV for US $309 new, $249 used. There's a Toshiba Satellite with about the same specs for $306... I have an old Toshiba Satellite that's been running flawlessly (if somewhat slowly) for 8 years now, and is currently a 4-way multiboot Linux machine. Rather fond of that old laptop....

mastablasta
January 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM
but you add shipping and VAT tax to those and you will get closer 400EUR ;-)

on the other side it might be worth investing a tad bit more and get a descent one.