PDA

View Full Version : Boot Install Screen Beeps and Freezes, Can't Install

alison5
January 28th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Hi there,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop whose original os (I think it was windows 7) crashed sometime last year- I am using a 2gb flash drive, and have tried both of the latest versions and also the 32-bit version of 12.04.5, formatting the flash drive as a FAT32 between versions.

Every time I boot to the USB, I immediately come to the Boot Install menu which beeps once and has an active countdown. Pressing any button stops the countdown and the menu thereafter remains frozen and unresponsive. If I wait for the countdown to reach "1", it beeps once again, and is once again frozen and unresponsive.

I haven't found anything online about this specific issue- does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Is the computer I'm trying to use simply hopeless? :cry:

MAFoElffen
January 28th, 2015, 04:00 AM
What model Toshiba?

Wait-- Beeping? It shouldn't really beep... Lets hear a bit more about the crash... Are you sure it wasn't memory or HDD related?

alison5
January 28th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me!

It's a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872.

The computer I currently use had a similar crash around the exact same time as this computer after a windows update- I was able to repair one quickly from a backup but didn't make any backups for the toshiba. Startup repair and memory diagnostics report no problems, and windows boots into a black screen with a movable cursor. I figured it was just a problem with Windows being ridiculous, but I could be completely wrong.