PDA

View Full Version : Who Says "Windows" is better Than "Linux" ??

rck_hitokiri
July 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM
i am a "NOOB" using Ubuntu and for some reason i dont wanna go back to friggin windows. Once you get used to linux i doubt there'd be a problem. So for the guy named "somenoob" you should crack your brain out and chop it up then burn it......

The ones that agree.... Please say "Aye"

thanks you very much.

hellmet
July 31st, 2006, 09:00 AM
aye..
whateva..
same here..even I don't want to go back to windows..
but the problem is my GRE cds that just don't run on Wine.
I need the 'friggin' windows to open them!!

beniwtv
July 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM
Same here. I won't go back to windows. I only have windows because I'm writing a crossplattform program. To make programs for windows it's usualy a good idea to actually have windows :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Despite of this, I don't use my windows much. I'm still hoping it will silently disapear someday from my HDD...

rck_hitokiri
July 31st, 2006, 09:09 AM
Yes some things may not work... but it is not imposible:cool:
after all we dont have active x controls that mess up everythin.

__________________________________________________ __________________

"bless these noble people for they saw light"

SkyNet2029
July 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Sadly, Windows runs my age of empires and GTA/GTA2. These three games crash wine pretty hard. Just means no network connection for Windows Server2k3. Ironic but true. As for Windows itself, if those guys in Redmond would take their heads outta their *****, nah.. it would still suck as far as i'm concerned. Here's why:
Estimate of Windows trojans,spyare,viruses ~60,000
Know Linux variants of same : rougly four verified, three of which were in a lab environment. Besides, who wants an OS that's more famous for the sheer volume of exploits for it keeping your machine running?
I would rather boot up some ancient 'two-diskX' than do anything on windows. Its just too unreliable for work, and too reliable at not working.

kigina
July 31st, 2006, 09:15 AM
I dont hate it
I dont love it
but im not neutral
if that makes sense

magnoliablossom
July 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM
I voted neutral. Although I love Ubuntu, I'm not ready to jump on the band wagon proclaiming it easier than Windows yet. I like being able to pop in a cd and click on "i accept, next, next, finish" and it works. Once I have everything configured properly, then I'm sure I'll love it even more. But until then, I'm afraid Windows is here to stay on my computer. At least since I have my modem working properly now it will be easier to work on other things. I won't have to switch back and forth as much.

IrishGangsta
July 31st, 2006, 09:21 AM
i am currently using ubuntu linux, and only this.
I got rid of windows b/c i had a windows genuine cd home edition and my 30 days were up and i have a media center edition laptop, therefore it did not come with a cd.
So if i really cared about windows i would have either kept installing it or found a different cd.

So for me, its only ubuntu linux and i have learned alot.
Everything i do can be done on here.
So its pretty kool.

guopai
July 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM
After I switched a month ago, Windows is just a history to me. The best thing I like about Ubuntu and Linux in general is it's actually free, both as in price and freedom. You use it, tweak it, the way you really want, without restriction. I like the fact that it's the first time I actually "own" my system.

Linux is also technically superior - more stable, more efficient, no malware, and many other things.

leev
July 31st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Neutral. Windows certainly doesn't "suck" if configured properly.
Keep in mind, I do like GNU/Linux a lot more than Windows. For some people Windows is better. It's all a matter of personal preference. :p

andb
July 31st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Its nonsense to call Windows a bad system, why do so many firms use it? If not Linux, then clearly Macs are also an available alternative. But its an efficent system for companies to deploy solutions. MS products are relatively intuitive and user freindly for the end user. Actually, I think theyve done a great job with the way that tasks are done in office in regular, standardized ways, making a lower lerning curve when learning new apps. Its not a perfect product, it would be great if they'd fix security instead of "adding features" (which no one needs), but its a solution that works for very many people.

That said, the only thing I use windows for games, and I really am unhappy when I have to shut down linux to go over to windows :) Playing the games cheers me right up though!

rck_hitokiri
July 31st, 2006, 10:14 AM
All opinions accepted. Feel free to shout out.

Yep as far i know linux does have the tech support advantage.
Once you get a habg of it, youll love it.
For windows... i can say yes it's good if configured prop.\
but the thing is..... its costs... ( get it ) ( lol )

__________________________________________________ __________
"ubuntu til i die" "aye:KS "

MaximB
July 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
I don't think winxp suck...
except for the viruses and torjans it's very stable
much better then other windowses - win95,98,me
but 99% of my time at home I use ubuntu

p.s
I think this pool belong to "ubuntu cafe" not "beginners talk".

andrew_stoned
July 31st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Always hated windows, only using it to play games really

IrishGangsta
July 31st, 2006, 10:42 AM
windows is ideal for my grandma and people who are new to the computer world.
But, when you get a hang of a computer and can understand it, then linux is ideal, b/c you basically can customize it to your liking.

The only bad part is that many companies ( like macromedia) make plugs ins (like flash) for window users. I am sure all of use could use flash player 9, or even 8 for that matter, but we are not there yet.

So windows is ideal for everyday simple computing, but linux is far more indepth.

Plus i have never seen help forums like this for windows :D
I usually get stuck talking to a foriegner for hours then it turns out they dont even know what the **** they are doing.

x64Jimbo
July 31st, 2006, 10:43 AM
I build all my desktops from scratch, so I don't pay the "Windows Tax" on them... but until recently, I had to pay the tax on notebook computers because you couldn't order them without Windows. Recently, however, it has become a somewhat common practice for OEMs to allow you to select "FreeDOS" as your OS from their selection, knocking off $100 from the pricetag. I have been shopping on HP's website looking at their business-oriented notebooks. There's one that has a Turion X2 and a fingerprint reader. I'm thinking about getting that one since it has that FreeDOS option and the dual core processor, but I'm also interested to see what happens with Linux and fingerprint readers. I know it probably won't work right away, but I'd like to be one of the first to try it out.
Bottom line is that you can knock off that Windows Tax on a lot of computers if you know where to look.

Stephen_A
July 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
IMHO it is not just a matter of whether Windows 'sucks' or not. It works, but it is filled with annoyances. Switching to OS software is by and large an ethical one a statement against monopolistic prinicples.

x64Jimbo
July 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
IMHO it is not just a matter of whether Windows 'sucks' or not. It works, but it is filled with annoyances. Switching to OS software is by and large an ethical one a statement against monopolistic prinicples.
Hear, hear!

Dinerty
July 31st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Hard to vote on this one, I have finally got rid of all windows machines in my network and now have a fully functional ubuntu linux network.

I'm not going to say windows is poor, because I personally don't think it is, it does suit older and new people who begin to use the computers/net, yes you have to pay for windows, but it just seems a good introduction to start people off.

tturrisi
July 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Both have their uses, I love both of them.

I prefer linx systems for WWW servers and server side applications, I prefer windows for development work & graphics work. (html, css, php, javascript) I prefer my linux laptop when mobile & using wifi because it's more secure than windows natively, but a well configured windows box is faster & pretty secure too.

Trouble it that most windows users don't know how to secure it & optimize it so it runs efficiently. For example, xp default install loads 34+ services at boot and if not connected to a domain server then less than 14 are needed.

Plus, most have no real understanding of viruses, trojans, malware. I have ben saying this for years: you cannot get a virus on a windows comp UNLESS you execute something, .i.e. you DO something that executes an installer. Thus windows gets a bad rap about being insecure, but in truth if setup properly it can be secure.

Fortunately or not, the world economics revolve around windows, and it is a must to know windows & use it if want to survive in any IT usiness.

becominglumberg
July 31st, 2006, 12:58 PM
I am an Ubuntu exclusive user at home (still have to use Windows at work :( ) Anyway, although I would never willingly use windows agian, I think it is short sighted to think that they completely suck. You don't get 95+% market penetration with crap.

Lord Illidan
July 31st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Aye. Fanboyism and zealotry is wrong. Just saying, XP sucks is not good enough. I use XP myself, and it does what I have to do quite well.

jincast90
July 31st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Windows does not suck, becouse you can much easier play games on it. But besides gaming, I think Linux beats windows any other ways. Exept for the few other Windows programs, which you just need.

MrHorus
July 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
You don't get 95+% market penetration with crap.

Unless you are McDonalds...

SpawnSC
July 31st, 2006, 02:48 PM
only thing I use windows for is gaming thats it. I use ubuntu for everyday desktop work and use iBook with OSX for travels and web designing.

Namingishard
July 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
They both have there place.

zxee
July 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Unless you are McDonalds...

Good one!!!

Actually I didn't vote in this poll. I don't think it covers any new ground. This debate has been around a long time and mostly we end up with many opinions. That's not a bad thing though.
I don't use windows. I know it has it's places but it is not even in the running as a good OS for me, and I worked for a huge corporation that spent millions on implementing software solutions that accomplished little and were replaced every few years by other ineffective or even dsyfunctional "solutions" These were all windows based programs.Why would anybody do that-be so wasteful? Because there was lots of money in it for those directing the show. The point being that the amount of money spent doesn't alway prove the worthiness of a product.
Linux in it's many forms-distros takes time and even patience to master-not a trait I see in great supply. Even after 6 years of using linux I sometimes get frustrated with being unable to get something working or a problem solved, and there are some things like doing photgrahic quality prints that I use Mac OS X for because there just are not high quality linux drivers for that in my specific situation.

WagerWith
July 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
I just installed ubuntu for the first time and I was amazed how painless it was. When it was done, I did not have to configure anything. I am in the process of converting all my PC's to Ubuntu.

Uncle Spellbinder
July 31st, 2006, 05:30 PM
All I can say is that I haven't booted XP in over nearly 2 weeks. Am I done with Windows? Probably not. But my primary OS in Ubuntu. :D

halfvolle melk
July 31st, 2006, 05:41 PM
:'(
Will it ever stop?

aysiu
July 31st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the thread title and poll options don't really mirror each other?

Mike Tomasello
July 31st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the thread title and poll options don't really mirror each other?That's exactly what I thought :p

I have Ubuntu on my laptop and Windows on my desktop ;)

x64Jimbo
July 31st, 2006, 05:46 PM
To those who say Windows is better for gaming:
Linux is a great gaming platform when the software companies actually develop their games for it. For instance, Unreal Tournament has been available in Linux versions for a long time, and it's just as good in Linux as it is in Windows. The fact that most games are designed for Windows does not make Windows a better gaming platform.

Mike Tomasello
July 31st, 2006, 05:50 PM
To those who say Windows is better for gaming:
Linux is a great gaming platform when the software companies actually develop their games for it. For instance, Unreal Tournament has been available in Linux versions for a long time, and it's just as good in Linux as it is in Windows. The fact that most games are designed for Windows does not make Windows a better gaming platform.
Blank stare. I'd say that IS what makes it a better gaming platform. Regardless of any other factors, if you just can't play your games on Linux (natively) then it's not better for gaming on the majority of games.

Although... The Playstation3 has Linux installed as standard, so does that make Linux a better gaming platform? ;)

Kilz
July 31st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Blank stare. I'd say that IS what makes it a better gaming platform. Regardless of any other factors, if you just can't play your games on Linux (natively) then it's not better for gaming on the majority of games.

Although... The Playstation3 has Linux installed as standard, so does that make Linux a better gaming platform? ;)

No what it meens is that developers want to make money, so they are making games for the windoz because there is a bigger population to sell to. Not because the platform is better.
As for the natively part, I find that most windoz game I have running under cedega run better than when they run under windoz. Maybe its because there isnt any anti virus, anti spyware, etc hogging all the resources.

apollo1900
July 31st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Windows sucks!

End of story

Mike Tomasello
July 31st, 2006, 06:00 PM
No what it meens is that developers want to make money, so they are making games for the windoz because there is a bigger population to sell to. Not because the platform is better.
As for the natively part, I find that most windoz game I have running under cedega run better than when they run under windoz. Maybe its because there isnt any anti virus, anti spyware, etc hogging all the resources.But then, surely from a gamer's perspective, Windows IS the better platform? Cedega is far from perfect aswell, it's not a reliable solution.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
July 31st, 2006, 06:03 PM
windows is only thre better platform because windows was forcing companies to develop thair games only for windows.

Aye, whatever. I hate windows. I love ubuntu. I sure wish I had known about ubuntu two years ago, when I was eleven, and using windows. Even seeing windows makes me wanna gag.

p.s. Are you a pirate? Can you spell?

aysiu
July 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
I don't see the need to bash another operating system. I happen to like Windows XP a lot (can't say the same for Windows ME), but I prefer Ubuntu. No one operating system is empirically "better" than another one.

You just have to find the right operating system for you. No one suits everyone's needs.

Chemroydal Tissue
July 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM
I was neutral/didn't care, until I somehow got a trojan, which turned around and installed a virus (can't remember which one, and I still don't know how it got there - probably the Mrs....). It was the first one on my system, and it really did a number on my machine. After that, I thought back about all the time I'd wasted "properly configuring" XP on this compy (not to mention all the time spent on my relatives' computers) and I had had enough. The time spent learning Linux feels like more of an investment in future headaches averted than "properly configuring" Windows did.

Hg80
July 31st, 2006, 06:49 PM
just the lack of game support is holding me back cedega does help but still its not perfect

Kilz
July 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM
But then, surely from a gamer's perspective, Windows IS the better platform? Cedega is far from perfect aswell, it's not a reliable solution.

No, I think you are confusing "best" with "supported" just because it has a lot of games dosnt mean its the best platform to runs games on.

x64Jimbo
July 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM
But then, surely from a gamer's perspective, Windows IS the better platform? Cedega is far from perfect aswell, it's not a reliable solution.
You're not getting the point. Linux is an operating system that is capable of 3D sound and video with very high quality. Windows is an operating system that is capable of 3D sound and video with very high quality. What makes a platform "good for gaming" is not whether all the games are made for it, but whether it is actually good at playing them when they are written for it. By your logic, the Super Nintendo is a better gaming platform than the PSP because it has more games. You have to judge the platform on its own merits. On its own merits, Linux is just as good a gaming machine as Windows, especially when the code is native.

aysiu
July 31st, 2006, 07:52 PM
Capability is one factor in determining what's "better," but so is support. After all, I think Mepis is a "better" distro than Ubuntu software-wise, but I use Ubuntu because of the better support--more documentation, more knowledgeable and responsive online community.

Each person has to weigh what's important to her. If selection is important to her, she'll pick what has the largest selection.

x64Jimbo
July 31st, 2006, 07:54 PM
I guess we were just squabbling over semantics then. I was referring to the technical ability of the platform while my opposition was referring to "choosing the platform based on what works with it."
Both are correct, I suppose. Just depends on how you look at it.
The statement "Windows is better for gaming" is a bit misleading though. Maybe it should be revised to "If you're a heavy gamer, you may want to keep Windows around so you can continue to play your Windows-only games."

cyberlite
July 31st, 2006, 08:02 PM
For me ubuntu Is a very good OS. It's still a child, but growing at a fast rate, and I think that ubuntu will give windows a run for it's money some day soon. I,m voted neutral because I still have to use windows for may programs that I can't get on linux. But I hope one day soon :rolleyes: to step over to ubuntu.

saphil
July 31st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Maybe Windows is better for what you are used to doing on Windows and Ubuntu is better for what you are used to doing on Ubuntu. I use both Ubu-Dapper and Win2k/2k3. I am writing this on my test edgy box, that has a copy of W2k dual-booted for when I want to play with something that comes in as an .exe. I used to have 3 macs here, but they reached the point of diminished-returns, and were too slow/old to upgrade to OSX, so I gave them away. I still have a g3 laptop but the keyboard doesnt register '2wsx' keys, so it is surprising difficult to use it for anything useful (anybody has a fix for this problem, I would be interested in hearing off-string)

Maybe People who like to play with operating system behaviour like Linux better than Windows, because you can customize almost anything on a xNIX box, and Linux is available for the relatively cheap x86-arch boxes. If you had to acquire an IBM as400 or rs6000 to play with Linux, I bet it would not be nearly so interesting.

GoombaDoolies
August 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Does anybody think that squabbling over this makes Ubuntu (and by extension "linux") users look like fanatical zealots.

Obviously Microsoft have the market share, that is what a Monopoly does, and most people realise that they aren't particularly ethical nor entirely reliable (anti-trust suit helped with that) but necessity is necessity for most people.

As a community we are better off 1. Trying to make Ubuntu a better product. 2. Stop bagging Microsoft and 3. Lobbying as much as possible to get more programs onto our platform, so people have a viable alternative. The more we squabble and carry on, the more people will look at us and think "I'm not dealing with all these nerds".

Love Ubuntu, have Microsoft. Pragmatism is usually the best way to handle things.

shoagun
August 17th, 2006, 08:17 AM
I have found many linux users are fanatical and irritating. But that's probably those are the ones who post the most. I love linux. I love windows. For work, I need linux. For home entertainment, I use both but prefer windows. I don't see why you can't enjoy and appreciate both.

xpod
August 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM
I cant qualify anything i say about the two of them as i have only used Ubunto for a couple of weeks and only used windows and pc`s for a few months before that but i know in the short time i used M.E and XP i had nothing but problems.
Here in ubunto my problems so far have have merely invovled getting things set up which is usually no longer a problem once i have listened to any relevant advice.Over in windows though from the day i sat down till the day i burned that first ISO i suffered nothing but infestation,driver chaos and numerous BSOD`s.Not to mention the rest of it!!
I only sat down to try play a game with one of my kids but ended up being FORCED into learning what i could about all the above mentioned hassles and much much more.
Im sure a lot of that was`nt helped by my being "new"to it all and i am happy about ALL i learned BUT other than a being a "problem solving platform" the only thing windows did was make me find my way here all the quicker.

rosdahale
August 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Though im a newb at linux (on day two now !) and really enjoying it so far, I still go back to windows simply to play games. The only annoying thing so far I have found is the fiddling around it takes to get hardware working and drivers installed (unlike window where you just run a .exe file). Saying that Im sure there is a good reason for this, suppose it gives more control over what you want want out of the hardware but so far so good :D

flaak_monkey
August 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM
its obvius that Windows is better..supported with software etc. But overall the flexiblitiy and cuztomization, and FREEDOM you get with Linux. Windows does not stack up.

rattlerviper
August 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Does anybody think that squabbling over this makes Ubuntu (and by extension "linux") users look like fanatical zealots.

Obviously Microsoft have the market share, that is what a Monopoly does, and most people realise that they aren't particularly ethical nor entirely reliable (anti-trust suit helped with that) but necessity is necessity for most people.

As a community we are better off 1. Trying to make Ubuntu a better product. 2. Stop bagging Microsoft and 3. Lobbying as much as possible to get more programs onto our platform, so people have a viable alternative. The more we squabble and carry on, the more people will look at us and think "I'm not dealing with all these nerds".

Love Ubuntu, have Microsoft. Pragmatism is usually the best way to handle things.

Strange words from some who who brought the subjesct back up after it died 2 weeks ago.;) That being said I agree with you! For me using windows has become as hard as using linux is for the windows crowd. After a time it simply becomes difficult you forget where stuff is at and how to do things. After using Linux exclusively for months now I reinstalled Windows to try and use Photoshop. 3 hours later and still working on getting windows updated(my copy of xp is one of the first) I threw my hands up in the air cussed about the room and installed Ubuntu over the whole mess. I simply could no longer cope with what much of the world considers "the norm". If someone wants to use Windows that is there choice...I just know there is a better one now[-X No telling me otherwise. I am a happy camper here in Ubuntu Land, but that doesn't mean everyone would be.

aysiu
August 17th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I have found many linux users are fanatical and irritating. But that's probably those are the ones who post the most. I love linux. I love windows. For work, I need linux. For home entertainment, I use both but prefer windows. I don't see why you can't enjoy and appreciate both.
Some of us who "post the most" agree that Linux, Windows, and Mac are all good operating systems. They should all be explored to see what best suits the needs of the user who's looking.

saphil
August 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Doesn't it seem likely that on a "mostly windows" the tendency would be toward Windows rather than Linux? :o

The community of Linux-users is a meritocratic group, where the prevailing wind is to expect others to want to learn how to diy. I feel like the Windows community is far more neophobic and though the number of true windows experts is very high, it is a smaller percentage than that of experts in the Linux community.

I am probably one of those "annoying Linux-users." I hazard this guess because I am not aware of most of the behaviour that you feel is objectionable. Like a Trekkie at a Sci-fi convention... I feel interested, amused educated and entertained by strong proponents of Linux, Windows, BSD or other OSes. Recently I read a string about porting Ubuntu to Sun Niagara, which kept me on the edge of my seat.

I suspect the "enthusiast" percentage will go down as more people enter the OS by force. You know... the way most non-enthusiasts found Windows..

aysiu
August 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I suspect the "enthusiast" percentage will go down as more people enter the OS by force. You know... the way most non-enthusiasts found Windows.. You mean like this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=238030)?

Klaidas
August 17th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I like Windows.
I don't like M$'a philosophy
I like Linux, specially Ubuntu.

I use closed source, I use open source, I use free, I use paid programs.
I use Windows
I use Ubuntu

I don't like theads like this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=231928), and I don't like threads like that (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=233702)

Am I neutral?

saphil
August 17th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Precisely! Or by platform uniformitarianism at their job -- very traumatic to live through, but very easy if you are hired into it..

mikecomua
March 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Windows SUX. it always sucked an always will. Sadly the companies don't think about Linux, so I am FORCED to use Windows once in a while to sync my iPod. But Windows SUX

sackbj
May 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
I would switch to Ubuntu completely if it had better support for games and if software needed for work/productivity worked well on Linux.

I would love to completely ditch Windows. I've even trying to convert my family over to Linux. It's safer and once it's setup, I don't think I'll have to do as much tech support for them.

swoll1980
May 21st, 2008, 06:10 AM
I dont hate it
I dont love it
but im not neutral
if that makes sense

+1 it makes perfect sense

FFighter
May 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Windows does not "suck". There are tons of people that use it daily to get things done, and they do. It has some great technologies running on top of it, but of course, has its quirks and annoyances as does Linux OSes too.

I do find Linux more powerful and also think that it has some better engineered aspects, but I still use XP happily.

I prefer FOSS, but I'm also happy using commercial "closed-source" software.

I would be happy using solely Linux if all the applications I use in XP had native Linux versions, but for now, XP is still my friend.

People should stop being childish and get a life. There are better things to do "out there" than to bash Windows or Mac OS.

I may use Vista someday, who knows?

Npl
May 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
I rarely rely on the "OS-Functionality", I only care about the programms running on top of it. That said, WinXP GUI is a good deal snappier than even XFCE - 1 point to Windows

For everyday Desktop use I strongly prefer Windows XP - Foobar2000, MPC and uTorrent just mop the floor with any native Linux Program. Even Opera is snappier and feels more at home on Windows. I have yet to find a single Desktop Linux-App that would make me even considering booting it - 2 : 0 for Windows.

Gaming - does it really need explaining? 3:0 for Windows

Programming - Linux has the edge here, compiling programs is very simple and its nearly as easy to fetch & setup dependend sources/headers. Theres no VisualStudio on Linux (and many graphical Gnome-Tools like Hex-Editor are horrible), but that aint enough for a draw. 3:1 for Windows.

Stability/Security - If you look at the base OS, its a draw. If you look at the desktop as whole(WinXP + included Programs vs Ubuntu+default Programs) then stability goes to Windows and security to Ubuntu (thanks to IE and Outlook). Which means its still a draw.

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
neigh OSX and linux FTW unix forever! i finally got off that PoS microsoft calls an OS i don't care about games any more down with vista

rickyjones
May 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Windows is better for me at the moment due to the applications that I use and the features that I need to have.

Samueltehg33k
May 21st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Windows is better for me at the moment due to the applications that I use and the features that I need to have.

i haven't used windows for 4 months

bufsabre666
May 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
you cant really say this on a linux forum and get a completely unbiased answer, and besides that which is the best OS is a completely opinionated answer, it should be which is the best OS for you

aysiu
May 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
you cant really say this on a linux forum and get a completely unbiased answer I don't think there's any place on the internet you can get completely unbiased answers on this question.

RWells
May 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Heres what I like I about windows.

I can check my email.
I can print.
I can surf the web.
Ease of installation

What I hate about windows.

Malware, Spyware Addware, viruseseseses,trojans,worms and just a general sense of no privacy.

What I like about Linux.

All the the things you guys say it will do if I can ever get it installed.

What I dont like about Linux.

Fricking black screen.
All the Linux lovers saying how easy it is to install.
I cant check my email.
I cant print.
Fricking black screen.

rune0077
May 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Fricking black screen.
All the Linux lovers saying how easy it is to install.
I cant check my email.
I cant print.
Fricking black screen.

You can't check your e-mail? That makes no sense.

I don't hate Windows. I never had any issues with it. I just like Linux better, and has found I don't really need Windows anymore. I carry no grudges towards it, though, and don't mind using it at work, when visiting friends, or anywhere else where I have to use it.

rickyjones
May 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
You can't check your e-mail? That makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense if his hardware is not supported and no driver exists from the manufacturer.

-Richard

FFighter
May 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I rarely rely on the "OS-Functionality", I only care about the programms running on top of it. That said, WinXP GUI is a good deal snappier than even XFCE - 1 point to Windows

For everyday Desktop use I strongly prefer Windows XP - Foobar2000, MPC and uTorrent just mop the floor with any native Linux Program. Even Opera is snappier and feels more at home on Windows. I have yet to find a single Desktop Linux-App that would make me even considering booting it - 2 : 0 for Windows.

Gaming - does it really need explaining? 3:0 for Windows

Programming - Linux has the edge here, compiling programs is very simple and its nearly as easy to fetch & setup dependend sources/headers. Theres no VisualStudio on Linux (and many graphical Gnome-Tools like Hex-Editor are horrible), but that aint enough for a draw. 3:1 for Windows.

Stability/Security - If you look at the base OS, its a draw. If you look at the desktop as whole(WinXP + included Programs vs Ubuntu+default Programs) then stability goes to Windows and security to Ubuntu (thanks to IE and Outlook). Which means its still a draw.

+1

Ubuntu has been very unstable for me lately, sadly.

rune0077
May 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Makes perfect sense if his hardware is not supported and no driver exists from the manufacturer.

-Richard

Well if he can't access the internet at all, sure, then it makes perfect sense. But if you have net-access, you should also be able to read your e-mails, right?

RWells
May 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well if he can't access the internet at all, sure, then it makes perfect sense. But if you have net-access, you should also be able to read your e-mails, right?

You may have missed part of my post.

What I like about windows.

I can surf the web.
I can check my email.

Fricken black screen.

Rusty

FFighter
May 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM

I can surf the web.
I can check my email.

Fricken black screen.

Rusty

What do you mean by "black screen"? The terminal ?

rune0077
May 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM

I can surf the web.
I can check my email.

Fricken black screen.

Rusty

Oh okay, sorry. If you can't surf the web, then yeah, that pretty much sucks. I never got my wireless to work on any Linux distro, but luckily I have a wired connection available - otherwise, I would have been back to Windows in no time (no, I would probably have bought a new wirelss-card, but I get why that sucks).