PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can my laptop handle Ubuntu?

michael14
January 25th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Okay so I have a laptop (Gateway NE56R41u), It has windows 8.1 on it.. I'm thinking of putting Ubuntu to dual boot on it maybe..
The Specs for the PC is as follows: Intel Pentium b960, intel hd graphics, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD. This laptop uses UEFI bios.

I am wondering does it work without lag.. I had Ubuntu on my old laptop (acer aspire 5517, amd tf-20, 2gb ddr2, 132gb hdd) and it lagged a good bit whenever I wanted to run high stuff like flash player in chrome.. Would flash player lag on my current laptop if I install Ubuntu, also would Ubuntu install fine with UEFI?

the3dman
January 25th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Should work good with that hardware. Try a live CD or USB flash drive first to make sure. Keep in mind it will run slower running from a live disc or USB than it will once installed. If possible, I would also make a backup of your drive before installing anything. A quick search on google found posts from other people with that same laptop that had no issues installing Ubuntu. Here is a video on dual booting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE8XvuhyaaA

oldfred
January 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I am surprised you had issues with older system.
I am currently on my old laptop with 1.5GB of RAM and 2006 vintage Intel processor and Intel video. As long as I do not load more than one larger app like Firefox at once I do not have any real issues.

The issue on installing with your Gateway will be the UEFI. Gateway's seem to have a more limited UEFI which makes it a bit more difficult. You should be able to fully test live installer in live mode. It will be a bit slower loading as flash & USB ports are not as fast as internal drive, but once in RAM it should work just like a full install.

Backup efi partition and Windows partition before Install of Ubuntu.

Shows install with screen shots for both BIOS(purple) & UEFI(grub menu), so you know which you are using.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

See also more info and useful links in the link in my signature below.

monkeybrain20122
January 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Anything that can run Windows 8 would have more than enough resources to run any flavour of *buntu, --provided that the hardware is compatible.