PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 14.04.1 LTS installation stucks on Dell inspiron 15 3542

thanais
January 24th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Hi there!

I am trying to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS from a usb stick. When the pc boots the usb, I choose to install Ubuntu. It shows the typical purple screen with the Ubuntu logo and it stays there for hours.

The laptop is brand new with Ubuntu 12.04 installed. I tried to upgrade first but this failed too. The proccess and the pc were getting stucked in the middle, so I decided to do a fresh installation.

A few specs I can give are: nvidia GEFORCE graphics, Intel® Core™ i7-4510U CPU and the following partition scheme

Partition
Filesystem
Mount point
label
size
flag

dev/sda1
fat32
/media/DELLUTILITY
DELLUTILITY
350 MB
diag

dev/sda2
fat32

OS
3 GB
lba

dev/sda3
ext4
/

446.61 GB
boot

dev/sda4
extended

15.81 GB

dev/sda5
linux-swap

15.81 GB

unallocated
unallocated

1.02 MB

Anyone got any idea how to get a nice installation and continue my work?

ajgreeny
January 24th, 2015, 10:26 PM
When you try next time, at the first screen you see, where you can choose the language, do so then hit F6 which allows you to use a variety of boot options. Select nomodeset and boot again which may get you to a GUI, from which you can install the system, and then after rebooting you can install the proprietary nvidia driver.

thanais
January 25th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I wish I could get that far, to choose a language...
I just get the first black screen where I have the options to "Try Ubuntu without install", "Install Ubuntu", "Test memory" etc, and then I choose install ubuntu and boom.

Let me just try once again and I will be back here.

Oh! Something I forgot. The first time I tried to install ubuntu it just popped a message saying something about the Dell recovery partition. Mouse and arrow keys were not working thus I hit the Enter key to quit, which was my only option. This message never showed again.

thanais
January 25th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Nope! No luck yet... It stuck again even when I chose to Try ubuntu without install...

tokyobadger
January 25th, 2015, 01:06 PM
the screen where you see Try Ubuntu without install and Install Ubuntu is the time you should press F6 and then select nomodeselect

thanais
January 26th, 2015, 08:11 PM
The installation is currently being realized...
I made another usb bootable, put it in another usb port (which I do not know why, but seems slightly different and is a bit tighter to put the stick in) and everything worked fine.

F6 did not worked at the first screen. In the help option I saw interesting options to type at the prompt but none worked. For example I was typing "install" and the response was "Could not find kernel image: install".

Anyway... right now I am installing the updates on my new Ubuntu 14 laptop, this is probably marked as solved and useless thread and

Thank you guys!