PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro

mrjohnc
January 24th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Hi All

I'm wondering if it's possible to install Ubuntu on the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro, please note this is the tablet not the laptop, here's the page on Lenovo's website for more info (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-pro/).

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John

kerry_s
January 24th, 2015, 08:50 PM
does it have a bios you can boot from usb to install?
if so i would make a usb & try to run it live see what works.

mrjohnc
January 24th, 2015, 10:36 PM
It may do, is there something I would have to do to get it to boot from USB? I'm much more used to fiddling with PC's bios settings

Thanks very much

John

kerry_s
January 25th, 2015, 01:36 AM
lol, you answered my question with a question. what do you see when it boots?
it's android on a x86 cpu, what i'm wondering is if it has a bios that is handing off too start android or if it's like all other androids that has a recovery?

normally when you boot a x86 device with bios, it will show you a screen with what to push to enter bios or boot from other devices.
if theres no bios you need to hack ubuntu on there from android, there are plenty of how to's on the web for that.

b00n
March 4th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I recently got the 10" version w/ 32 GiB flash and keyboard, which comes running MSWindows:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-tablet-2-1051

I'd like to erase MSWindows and run Ubuntu.

I plugged in a USB keyboard and pressing F2 early/fast enough after power-on takes me to "Novo Menu", listing

Normal startup
BIOS setup
Boot menu
System recovery

The only thing listed under Boot is "Windows Boot Manager". (It's not really an "option" if there's no other choice!?)

The BIOS (apparently Insyde) has fewer options than anything I have seen before. I tried

USB Debug support off -> on
Seucre boot on -> off
Exit saving changes

No dice. I verified the settings had been saved. The only other options I see are change date/time, "BIOS back flash" on/off, and a couple of reset options.

In MSWindows under "Options > Update and Recovery > Recovery > Advanced Startup" one of the options is to boot from an alternate device. I tried that with a USB key plugged in that is a bootable Ubuntu (the standard live install), but it just complained there was no such choice and booted MSWindows.

Do folks have suggestions what else I can try?