PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HDD from EXT4 > NTFS

flameproof
January 23rd, 2015, 02:50 AM
Here is my problem:

• I have Ubuntu 14.04 on a 1Tb EXT4 HDD
• HDD is near empty (<10Gb)
• I just installed Windows 7 on a separate SSD
• To boot to Win7 I need to press F8 while booting and chose the SSD (it's OK for me)
• Windows 7 shows the EXT 4 HDD, but doesn't mount it
• Ubuntu sees the SSD

What I want:
Windows 7 having read/write access to the 1TB HDD

If there is no other way I am thinking of this:

• Making a backup directory on the SSD for all of the Ubuntu files
• Changing (formating?) the 1TB drive to NTSF
• Moving all Ubuntu files back to the 1TB drive.

But I have a little doubt that this will work out of the box. Any help in any direction is highly appreciated.

CharlesA
January 23rd, 2015, 02:56 AM
You can use a third party file system driver to mount ext4 file systems in Windows, but it is usually easier to partition that 1TB drive and have a part of it running NTFS for sharing files between the two OSes than trying to fudge with third party drivers to get it working.

flameproof
January 23rd, 2015, 04:53 AM
You can use a third party file system driver to mount ext4 file systems in Windows, but it is usually easier to partition that 1TB drive and have a part of it running NTFS for sharing files between the two OSes than trying to fudge with third party drivers to get it working.

So you suggest to keep Ubuntu on EXT4 and have part of 1TB drive converted to NTFS?

Would make sense. I just need access to a few directories.

Is it save to partition a HDD that is in use? (I presume yes)

fantab
January 23rd, 2015, 05:20 AM

Oh NO, it not safe!

Use gparted tool from Live Ubuntu DVD/USb...

CharlesA
January 23rd, 2015, 06:05 AM
So you suggest to keep Ubuntu on EXT4 and have part of 1TB drive converted to NTFS?

Yes.

No. See fantab's post.

Oh NO, it not safe!

Use gparted tool from Live Ubuntu DVD/USb...

flameproof
January 23rd, 2015, 09:38 AM
Ok, I burned a new LiveDVD and manage to get over the black screen. But when I open GParted min and max size are the same and I can't edit the size. What now?

Update:
Got it, I had to unmount the partition.

Update 2:
Took a hour so, but Ubuntu boots again to the HDD. Due to lack of cables the SDD wasn't connected, I guess Win7 will boot too. Haven't tried to access the new HDD from Win7, but can't see why it shouldn't work.

Maybe one last question: Instead of pressing F8 and chosing a drive, is it possible to add a boot manager?

Impavidus
January 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM
If Ubuntu can access the Windows file system when it updates grub, it should automatically add an entry for Windows in the grub menu. Do you get a grub menu when you boot from the Ubuntu drive? If not, have a look at the file /etc/default/grub and search for a line containing GRUB_TIMEOUT=0. Change that number to 10 or something else suitable (it's in seconds) and run sudo update-grub.

And as nobody mentioned it, Linux may be able to read and write NTFS, but it can't run from NTFS. So converting the entire 1TB drive to NTFS was out of the question.