PDA

View Full Version : extra ubuntu cd software

SilvioTO
March 28th, 2005, 11:35 PM
For people that not have a broadband I like idea to create extra software CD for ubuntu, with the best software and easy to manage with synaptic. What you think of my idea and have suggestions to realize it?

Thanks...
Silvio.

poofyhairguy
March 29th, 2005, 12:53 AM
For people that not have a broadband I like idea to create extra software CD for ubuntu, with the best software and easy to manage with synaptic. What you think of my idea and have suggestions to realize it?

Thanks...
Silvio.

Great idea, its been needed for a while. It would be best to have it hosted someplace where you could include things like codecs and java though....

totalshredder
March 29th, 2005, 01:25 AM
It doesn't need to be official, somebody could start it up and get hosting for it. It's really just a matter of getting .deb on a CD, and then getting ubuntu to recognize it (through synaptic).

I say we do it :-D

This has been brought up before though :)

Luke

SilvioTO
March 29th, 2005, 11:10 PM
therefore I use synaptic for download extra software and dependence, write all in one cd or dvd, then, in synaptic, - modify -> add cdrom... Great! extra easy! I convinced to write a file index. Ok, perfect. Thanks.

:-)

occy8
March 29th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Great idea, there could be a thread here to nominate applications and the most voted for get on

SilvioTO
March 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM
My suggestions:

Office:
Scribus, Gnome-office? (anyone use it? raccomended or not for light use?), Abiword alone...

Multimedia: (editing video, editing audio, ecc...)
sure for Audacity, Kino? (anyone use it?, work fine?), Blender, Gnome Baker... you agree?

Games:
I don't have experience with Linux games...

utility:
????

would be fine that programs in extra cd work well after installed and not required too extra setup. Our experience's avail to others.

ubuntu_demon
March 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Nice idea. But why not create a dvd with the cdimage + marilat + gnomebaker + some selection of universe / multiverse ?

UbuWu
March 30th, 2005, 07:37 PM
If you would like to make a dvd I would suggest starting with the existing official dvd image already containing everything in main (still leaving about 2gb of space for all the other things you want to add).

ubuntu_demon
March 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM
If you would like to make a dvd I would suggest starting with the existing official dvd image already containing everything in main (still leaving about 2gb of space for all the other things you want to add).
yeah you're right (I didn't know there was 2 gb left)

jdong
March 30th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Great idea, its been needed for a while. It would be best to have it hosted someplace where you could include things like codecs and java though....

Backports now has Java, w32codecs, and libdvdcss2 ;).

Reb
March 30th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Backports now has Java, w32codecs, and libdvdcss2 ;).Only for i386?

UbuWu
March 30th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I think two things should be done:

- a dvd containing virtually everything one would ever need: main + multimedia + graphics drivers + a lot of great applications

- a cd with multimedia + graphic drivers + some of the best from main and universe

SilvioTO
March 31st, 2005, 08:54 AM
Yes! CD & DVD! I'm think UbuWu reason; also people who don't have a dvd reader have to use Ubuntu. Great idea for graphic driver, java...

UbuWu
March 31st, 2005, 12:08 PM
And kubuntu on boththe cd and dvd. And on the dvd installer a choice to install ubuntu, kubuntu or both...

Slapdash
March 31st, 2005, 12:28 PM
I also wanted to do this but I have hosting problems. :(

but I also vote for the DVD & CD. Do the CD first and add stuff to the DVD.

Codecs, Java, Flash and Drivers is the best things you could start to add I think.

UbuWu
March 31st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Seems like a lot of people want to do this (including me), but noone can host it... :cry:

Slapdash
March 31st, 2005, 12:43 PM
yeah I know, I want to make Training Videos as well, but with the amount of bandwidth I'll need i dont think I will be able to host it for long before i'll need some cash per month to do it. :(
Sourceforge dont host it because its described as Content and not as Software.

SilvioTO
March 31st, 2005, 12:59 PM
And kubuntu on boththe cd and dvd. And on the dvd installer a choice to install ubuntu, kubuntu or both...

I don't agree, too complex. My idea is a simple extra cd and/or dvd software to combine with ubuntu or kubuntu; simple but rich of the best software, video drivers, java, and other useful.

UbuWu
March 31st, 2005, 01:06 PM
As long as there is enough space left, I would like kubuntu to be included (wouldn't use it myself though ;) ). Don't think it would be complex, as far as I can see the only change necessairy would be to install kubuntu-desktop instead of ubuntu-desktop. And a small change to the installer to offer that choice (don't know how hard that is).

SilvioTO
March 31st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Ha, you include the kde desktop as package... ok, good idea.
For host problems... What do you think of share the iso file of extra cd with amule (impermanent solution 8-[ )?
The first time is hard, we take pc on for a number of days for disseminate iso, and publicize share resource to forum... But when a large number of people share it...

ubuntu_demon
March 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM
Ha, you include the kde desktop as package... ok, good idea.
For host problems... What do you think of share the iso file of extra cd with amule (impermanent solution 8-[ )?
The first time is hard, we take pc on for a number of days for disseminate iso, and publicize share resource to forum... But when a large number of people share it...
yeah or use bittorrent

SilvioTO
March 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
I'm new to bittorrent, I installed and tryed it, readed the documentation, it seems the best way... Better than amule.
I have another small idea... make html page with instruction for manage the software on cd/dvd via synaptic, with screenshots and accurate description, translated in various languages (I'm offer to cure the italian translation).

And now? :-D

ubuntu_demon
March 31st, 2005, 11:06 PM
amule and bittorrent have different strenghts. For example : bittorrent is faster but only if things are really popular or just released. Searching in amule is much faster and easier than searching for torrents.

UbuWu
April 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM
Don't know a lot about these two, so I don't know which one would be the most effective. Still I think it would be better to find someone who can host it somewhere (someone who reads this topic??? [-o< ). Probably would be easier for the cd version as the dvd would be a huge download. Would be a nice point to start from. Besides that I have never succesfully downloaded a file with a size of several gigs from either bittorrent or amule or any p2p network. So I say we should opt for the cd first...

SilvioTO
April 1st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Ok, the best software, drivers and utility in 700 mb, I think to be the best choice.

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 01:17 PM
How's this going? Is it going at all? This is really needed. a ISO for a CD or DVD with packages on that does not have a lot of dependency hell so that one can install Ubuntu on NON INTERNET CONNECTED PC's.

SilvioTO
April 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Is necessary to organize. I think that the software download and make torrent file is individual job. Best before determine wich software include on iso file. This job is better to do all together. In this post would I like make a list, upgradable from everyone, of software to include in iso file. What do you think?

UbuWu
April 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Last weekend I wanted to start pulling something together, but I have one problem: don't know how to get the packages + dependencies together. I know they are cached after you install them, but doing it that way would need a clean install of Ubuntu and I don't like to do that. Posted this in the repositories forum, no replies yet, maybe any of you have an idea:

Is it possible to use apt-get to download packages with the needed dependencies, even if you have them already installed? I wanted to make a cd with packages for my home computer, but can't find an easy way to do this except for starting with a clean install, then apt-getting the packages and then put the cached debs on the cd. But I don't want everything on the cd I have currently installed on my system. And besides that I already wiped the cache directory some time ago.

And there would still be the problem of hosting it...

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Can one read the DEB header files?
Cant one just take the Apt repository files look in the header of app A download App A with its deppendencies and throw them on a CD?
I rekon if it was that easy someone would have done this already.

UbuWu
April 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
The easiest way would be if you had an extra pc to use just for this, do a clean install on it, then install every program you want and put all the debs in the cache on the cd.

UbuWu
April 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
To see the dependencies, just right click in synaptic and select properties - dependencies. Problem is I wouldn't know which ones are already installed by default... and these dependencies can have their own dependencies and so on... Using apt-get is the easiest way to ensure everything works.

ubuntu_demon
April 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
look here for how to create a nice and working packages directory (with solved dependencies) on a cd :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23843

It was intended to be a patch cd. But you can use it if you make the assumption everyone has ubuntu-base and ubuntu-desktop.

I haven't tried the method myself so please let me know.

SilvioTO
April 7th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I have an extra pc for various... Experiments. ;-)

UbuWu
April 7th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Guess you will have to wait for one day, then start off with the official hoary release on that extra machine and start adding programs and then put the downloaded deb's on a cd. My suggestions:

Programs:
Abiword
Audacity
Blender
Firestarter
Gcursor
Gdesklets
Gnomebaker
Gparted
Gqview
Gnumeric
Gtkpod
Guifications
Gwget
Inkscape
Mplayer
Multisync
Nvu
Scribus

Codecs:
gstreamer-mad
gstreamer-lame
w32codecs
libdvdcss2
flash
java
mplayer plugin
Maybe a modified haih (hoary after install helper, see howto forums) to install them

Drivers:
ATI
Nvidia

Menu editor (see 3rd party forum)

And if they don't take to much space on the cd (don't know the sizes):
OpenOffice 2 beta
Optimized kernels
Language packs (or are they included on the install cd?)
KDE/kubuntu packages
Some games
Some nice wallpapers

sb73542
April 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Nice list! I might also suggest kino, gnome-ppp, Adobe Acroread 7 + Plugin, and xfld-desktop (XFCE4 + all the goodies + ROX Filer. Dependencies are currently a disaster even with a good internet connection, but its a thing of beauty when it works. A great idea for those with old computers, who tend to be the same ones with slow/no internet access.)

It appears that this idea is really popular, some one at this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=119292) thread pointed me here. Anyone suggested this in bugzilla? I would, but it takes literally 5 minutes for the bugzilla "Add new bug" page to load on my 26 kbps connection.

And hey, that HAIH is very nice, I've been hoping someone would make something like that for months now! Thanks!

Slapdash
April 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM
What happens if i add the deppendencies to the CD and the user has a newer version of a dependency already installed?

UbuWu
April 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Then synaptic will keep the newer installed version I assume...

thane
April 13th, 2005, 07:59 AM
A good firewall would be helpful and Spam Assassin. I could ramble on quite a bit if you'd like ;-) but these are two items that are pretty important.

ubuntu_demon
April 13th, 2005, 08:10 AM
A good firewall would be helpful and Spam Assassin. I could ramble on quite a bit if you'd like ;-) but these are two items that are pretty important.
A firewall is not necessary as ports are closed by default. If you are paranoid or running a server you should try firestarter (available in universe) because it's nice and easy or write your own using iptables.

regarding spam (unless you are running a mailserver) thunderbird rocks

muzza
April 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Thanks...
Silvio.

Silvio started this thread with the noble gesture to create a DVD for us peasants on 56k. I don't understand the recurring comments about finding a host. Wouldn't it be a simple thing for someone to assemble the DVD and just send it to forum members for a small postage and handling fee? Maybe some other members could volunteer to distribute in the different countries/continents.

Am I missing something here? (Apart from the fact that it could become a collossus)

ubuntu_demon
April 13th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Silvio started this thread with the noble gesture to create a DVD for us peasants on 56k. I don't understand the recurring comments about finding a host. Wouldn't it be a simple thing for someone to assemble the DVD and just send it to forum members for a small postage and handling fee? Maybe some other members could volunteer to distribute in the different countries/continents.

Am I missing something here? (Apart from the fact that it could become a collossus)
there's another option if you want to save bandwith.
Just create a script that creates the dvd and distribute this script. You have to have at least once acces to a linux pc with an internet connection and burner to make this work though.(preferably an ubuntu machine)

SilvioTO
April 13th, 2005, 11:54 AM
DVD already exist: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/ and is futile we think to make another one.

I think the best project is a cd (don't forcedly full) with only the best software and other useful things (wallpaper, howto and guide in various language...).

SilvioTO
April 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Ha... http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/
for receive your ubuntu directly at home. :smile:

muzza
April 13th, 2005, 01:32 PM
DVD already exist: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/ and is futile we think to make another one.

I thought that that particular DVD only had stuff from the 'main' repository. Anyway, the fact that it exists doesn't help me as I've only got dialup.

I also thought that the idea behind this thread was to get the software out to those without the capability of downloading it. (Me!)

Have I missed something???

SilvioTO
April 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
at this link http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/
register and login and verify if available Hoary DVD for ship.

This is the first page of the service:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/shipit/link_view

ask is possible to have a Hoary DVD. Otherwise I'm offer to send you one. ;-)

Hi!!

UbuWu
April 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I thought that that particular DVD only had stuff from the 'main' repository. Anyway, the fact that it exists doesn't help me as I've only got dialup.

I also thought that the idea behind this thread was to get the software out to those without the capability of downloading it. (Me!)

Have I missed something???

I think the best idea would be to make a cd image available for download that you can download somewhere (at a friends home, at work, at school). Sending it to people could be a nice extra option, but that would mean a lot of work if it gets popular ;-)

sb73542
April 13th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I think the best idea would be to make a cd image available for download that you can download somewhere (at a friends home, at work, at school). Sending it to people could be a nice extra option, but that would mean a lot of work if it gets popular ;-)

I personally prefer CD's over DVD's because I don't own a DVD drive! :-) But I would be willing to pay a few bucks to get such a CD shipped to me, if a hosting server is impossible. The problem with a download script is that most people from whom one might bum an internet connection are generally Windows users, and shell scripting is crummy on Windows. Again, an .iso image will eventually get sold by cheap online Linux CD retailers, if it's not too complicated for them to do. Thanks!

UbuWu
May 1st, 2005, 09:07 PM
Here it is:

http://ubuntuguide.org/add-on-cd/

More info here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30147

defkewl
May 2nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
I agree with you. THis is how they do it in Gentoo.

Nu-Buntu
May 3rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
I would nominate for inclusion:

K3B
Gnumeric
Celestia
TuxPaint
KOffice
Planner
Extra KDE & Gnome Themes
DVD CSS Library