PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Powered Desktop?

Draven_Vestatt
January 22nd, 2015, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. If it isn't, will a moderator please move it?

It's been a decade since I've built a PC, but I need a decent Ubuntu powered workstation for around $500. Anyone want to make some recommendations for Ubuntu compatible parts? Especially a motherboard & case? I like small sleek/professional looking desktop PC's, but I don't want something so small that I can't throw a decent graphics card on later for gaming(eventually I want to switch from console to PC gaming).

I've yet to use Ubuntu and currently stuck with a Win8 PC, Win Surface RT, and Win8 Phone, and Xbox One. Which I'm unhappy with them all except the phone. So, I'm hoping by 2016 to be able to migrate to Ubuntu powered products. I can't get Ubuntu(dual boot) to run on my current PC. Trust me, I've tried with every release since 12.x.

So with tax returns coming, I guess I'll try building one. I took a look at System76 and thought there prices were a little high. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

mooreted
January 22nd, 2015, 02:47 AM
I don't know if $500 is your maximum, but there's this:

https://system76.com/desktops/ratel

Draven_Vestatt
January 22nd, 2015, 04:20 AM
I don't know if $500 is your maximum, but there's this:

https://system76.com/desktops/ratel

I think their prices are a little high, not to mention a bit outside my budget. I did mention that in the last sentence of the post I think.

mastablasta
January 22nd, 2015, 08:00 AM
It's been a decade since I've built a PC, but I need a decent Ubuntu powered workstation for around $500. Anyone want to make some recommendations for Ubuntu compatible parts? Especially a motherboard & case? I like small sleek/professional looking desktop PC's, but I don't want something so small that I can't throw a decent graphics card on later for gaming(eventually I want to switch from console to PC gaming).

I've yet to use Ubuntu and currently stuck with a Win8 PC, Win Surface RT, and Win8 Phone, and Xbox One. Which I'm unhappy with them all except the phone. So, I'm hoping by 2016 to be able to migrate to Ubuntu powered products. I can't get Ubuntu(dual boot) to run on my current PC. Trust me, I've tried with every release since 12.x.

you will soon be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free. maybe that will make you happier. You have MS ecosystem and most games still get windows versions only. I am only bringing this up since oyu mention gaming.

now if you weren't after games I would say go for one of the mint boxes (the newer weaker one or stronger one are both ok). but you want to add a GPU.

I guess since you are asking here, you do not want to assemble the desktop yourself. so perhaps you can find something here: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
but usually people would just check for components and put together one themselves. or you could pay someone to assemble it for you.

also you haven't used Ubuntu yet so please try it first (live session) maybe try an install inside virtualbox or in dualboot mode. use it for a while and first make sure you want to switch and that it brings you enough happiness before going headlong in and then being disappointed. aside from hardware, you should be testing some software you intend to run. windows software usually does not run on Linux. some does via Wine. but usually not perfectly. so for example a few games (especially older ones) will run, many new that are made for windows only will not work. more are made for linux these days but I am not sure how interested you would be in those. some are AAA titles but most are not.

mooreted
January 23rd, 2015, 01:08 AM
I just mentioned the System 76 box because the price is actually pretty good for what they give you.

So, Ubuntu will handle just about anything you throw at it these days. It's really hard to build a system for $500 or less:

Motherboard: $149
Processor: $179
RAM: $80
Power Supply: $90
Heatsink: $50
Case: $30
Hard Drive: $80

That's $628 with no bells and whistles and no video card. A decent video card is going to cost another $200.

mastablasta
January 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM
ah come on you can get a good descent motherboard for less than that. also the CPU if it's AMD it will cost far less than 179 USD. then again depends at what the user needs. and also if games have to run at max or not.

GPU's these days need so much power they should get their own PSU.