PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't install

alex318
January 20th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I just build my first computer and it works. I haven't installed an OS yet and I was going to use Ubuntu. I put the disk into the optical drive and then select install. Then it says Ubuntu that has a few circles under it that change from orange to white. Then when it is done it restarts the computer and goes back to the very first installation screen asking me if I want to install it or not. I have clicked install more than once and after 30 or so minutes it then just brings me back to the very first installation page. Why is this? Do I need to burn it again on a new disk? How do I fix this problem? I'm using the msi A78M-E45 motherboard if that helps.

mrgs
January 20th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Hi,welcome to the fora.
When you reboot do you remember to remove the DVD?

alex318
January 20th, 2015, 10:43 PM
So I took out the DVD and rebooted it and all it says is "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

It said this before I installed Ubuntu too.

ajgreeny
January 20th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Do you never see anything more than the word ubuntu plus the animated dots when you are installing?
It should offer you a lot more choice than that to allow you to select the disk or partitions to use, and to set up a user, etc etc.

I suspect that no OS has been installed so far, maybe because the DVD is not a good burn, or the .iso file you used was corrupt; did you check the md5sum UbuntuHashes - MD5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes) ?

So try using the live desktop first by choosing "Try Ubuntu without installing" and then you can install from that by double clicking on the Install icon on the desktop.

alex318
January 21st, 2015, 12:16 AM
There is no OS installed on this PC yet and I tried "try Ubuntu without installing", but it did the same thing. I think my only option is to burn another disk.

ajgreeny
January 21st, 2015, 12:21 AM
Yes, that does seem likely.

mrgs
January 21st, 2015, 10:08 AM
Please take a look in BIOS and post the boot priority list.

Morten_Fjellheim
January 21st, 2015, 08:19 PM
Like the other post says, go back to your bios and put your hardisk as first device to boot from.

ajgreeny
January 22nd, 2015, 12:06 AM
Like the other post says, go back to your bios and put your hardisk as first device to boot from.
I suppose you my be correct, but normally if the DVD drive is first priority but is empty, the hard disk, usually second priority will boot automatically; I have never had to set my machines the way you are suggesting.