PDA

View Full Version : Manually uninstall kernels

Alistair_Grant
January 20th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I'm working on resolving some USB3 issues on my Dell XPS13 laptop and as part of the search have compiled and manually installed a number of kernels. Looking for files / directories with the kernel name I get:

/lib/modules/3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/var/lib/initramfs-tools/3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/boot/System.map-3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/boot/config-3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/4.3.20/3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/kernel-3.18.0-rc4mathias0.1+-x86_64

I'm pretty confident that I can just delete the first 6 files / directories and re-run update-grub, however I'm not so sure about the last two (/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/...).

Can anyone confirm that it is OK to simply delete these files, or is there another process I should be following to manually uninstall kernels?

Thanks very much,
Alistair

TheFu
January 20th, 2015, 07:09 PM
If the files were created using a package manager, then it is smart to remove them using the package manager. If you manually remove files that are part of a package, the package manager may refuse to allow "remove" of the package.

Alistair_Grant
January 20th, 2015, 07:17 PM
If the files were created using a package manager, then it is smart to remove them using the package manager. If you manually remove files that are part of a package, the package manager may refuse to allow "remove" of the package.

Thanks for your reply, perhaps I should have been a bit more explicit. What I meant by compiled and manually installed is that I used:

$ make
$ sudo make modules_install install
The kernels that were installed via a package manager I will remove using the package manager.

ubfan1
January 20th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Check the makefile for an "uninstall" target, that would be the cleanest way to ensure you get the right things.

Alistair_Grant
January 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM
Check the makefile for an "uninstall" target, that would be the cleanest way to ensure you get the right things.

It would, but unfortunately there isn't an uninstall target, or anything similar.

Thanks for your reply,
Alistair