PDA

View Full Version : Ran ubuntu on Chinese XP, got Chinese language install menus...

David_Antoniuk
January 19th, 2015, 02:43 AM
I want to install an English language Ubuntu on a PC; the current system is Windows XP professional Chinese language version. The install DVD works, but the language automatically switches to Chinese during the boot up. (I tried the boot disk on my regular laptop, which is an English OS, and it gave me the English interface...) So, must I first wipe the hard-drive entirely before running the Ubuntu disk to get English? Also, if I do wipe the disk, what about the device drivers for this particular PC, won't they be lost...? Dumb question?

Any advice on over-riding the auto-language detect on the boot up? And BTW, it makes no difference if I manually click on the icon on the disk menu, or let it boot automatically -- both give the Chinese interface...

david

grahammechanical
January 19th, 2015, 02:55 AM
At some point the session should give us an option to select the language to use for installing from a list of languages. I installed Ubuntu a few days ago and I did in fact get the offer to select a language.

You can try this. At the first purple screen press Enter. That should reveal a screen where we can select a language. Select the language and press Enter. At the underlying screen select either Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu.

Are you sure that you are installing Ubuntu and not Ubuntu Kylin? It is an official version of Ubuntu but for the Chinese people.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubuntu%20Kylin

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Regards.

David_Antoniuk
January 19th, 2015, 03:21 AM
No, Graham, this is the latest vers of 32 bit ubuntu, but it has an auto-detect feature for the language: there is NO option or blue screen to choose the language, only an interface in English on my English pc and in Chinese on the Chinese pc... The interface pops up automatically in that language, having detected the system language. Maybe I should continue, and try to install, and see if I get a language selection... Will try again... :)

David_Antoniuk
January 19th, 2015, 03:37 AM
I will download from the website and try to install that way, thanks...