PDA

View Full Version : Leaving DirecTV

ebozzz
January 18th, 2015, 09:45 PM
My family have been a DirecTV subscribers for the past several years and I have been trying my get rid of them. It's been a hard sale for my wife & kids up to this point. I may be able to get it done now as the options for streaming content are much better now. It's going to be a gradual transition over the next few months but the first step is to get my home wired with Ethernet jacks so that I can minimize the number of wireless connections. I'm gonna do Cat 6 as long as I can find sufficient quantity at a price that's not too crazy.

My top choices right now are Amazon Fire TV and Roku 3, used in conjunction digital antennas, with Fire having a slight edge right now due to the fact that I'm an Amazon Prime member. They also offer an option to try it and return the hardware within 30 days if for some reason it's not satisfactory.There will probably be at least 5 boxes and 4 of those will get used a lot. I could use some advice on how to set up my network to get the most efficient performance.

I currently have a VDSL connection that gets 20Mbps down and 896k up. There are really no aftermarket modems that I can choose from so I am stuck with the one from my provider. I have multiple printers and a couple of NAS devices. A bigger switch will be needed.. One person that I know suggested that I look a the Cisco SG 300 series products for that need. Not really a network design guy so I would appreciate any opinions from someone who does that sort of thing on a more frequent basis. Thanks!

Frogs Hair
January 19th, 2015, 01:38 AM
Do you have a Ubuntu related problem or are you looking for hardware recommendations ?

ebozzz
January 19th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Do you have a Ubuntu related problem or are you looking for hardware recommendations ?

Thanks for replying. I'm good on Ubuntu. I was just hoping to get some opinions on network design and hardware recommendations to the get the most out of what I have available.

Sef
January 19th, 2015, 02:36 AM
Moved to The Cafe.