PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank black screen on bootup following an update today (16th Jan 2015)

Malcolm_Brown
January 16th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I have an old Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop which has Intel(R) 945 Express graphics. After updating my Ubuntu v. 14 today (16th January 2015) using Synaptics Package Manager, I am now unable to use Ubuntu at all. On bootup I get a black blank screen. I think that Ubuntu has probably booted up but am unable to see any information. I strongly suspect that the update has overwritten the graphics driver with something which is unsuitable. I had this same problem after an update a year or so ago. I had to do a complete fresh install of Ubuntu and all the software packages I had used. This took ages. Is there an easier 'fix'? Please inform the update team of the problem. Thanks.

MAFoElffen
January 17th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Can you boot it from a LiveCD and post your var/log/apt/history.log and var/log/Xorg.0.log files. When you post them, go to "Go Advanced" ...> Use [ code ] tags by using the "#" icon at the advanced post menu toolbar > then copy paste those files inside those tags.

Malcolm_Brown
January 17th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I have attached the history anf Xorg files as you suggested. I had to split the Xorg file into two parts to fit with the upload limit.

Thanks for your help. Hope the file contents are of use.

steven-misshula
January 17th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I think i'm having the same godforsaken problem....
any and all help is welcome...just started last night....

my issue is that it won't boot and i get the GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-9 ubuntu1 screen

as featured in this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/196740/how-to-fix-an-ubuntu-system-when-it-wont-boot/

but the available recoveries don't work...

MAFoElffen
January 18th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Looking at your logs right now... (brb)

Steve- You look like you are having a different problem if yours is like that, please start a new thread for "yours" to get help on it, describing what is going on with yours...

MAFoElffen
January 18th, 2015, 09:07 AM
I see that Xorg says your driver loaded, and said it had no errors... but you are getting a black screen.
So in your upgrade was linux-image-generic:i386 (3.13.0.43.50, 3.13.0.44.51) and libc6:i386 (2.19-0ubuntu6.4, 2.19-0ubuntu6.5)... You didn't have an XServer update, so still running the same xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.3 driver that was before that update.

Could you post your sources.list... or check it yourself and see if your have proposed selected for some reason... I see that kernel update as proposed but not release for main consumption yet... so wondering if you are in a test slice or something else.

Do a test, as the BIOS Post is finishing, start pressing your <left-shift> key intermittently. When your grub menu shows... <Arrow-down> to the other kernel submenu option. Select that, then select the last kernel and boot. Tell me if that starts your desktop with graphics.

Malcolm_Brown
January 18th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Thank you for giving up your time to help!

When I select the second line 'Advanced options' I get a long list starting with Linux 3.13.0-44 generic, then in turn 43, 40, 39, 37, 36, 35, 34, 32. Selecting any of these results in a black blank screen.

I attach the sources.list file as requested.

I could not find the file libc6:i386. I looked in lib and lib/i386-linux-gnu. The latter had a file libc.so.6 of 1.8Mb but was impossible to copy as it only gave 32 characters and would not upload. I don't know if this is the file you were referring to.

I tried the Shift Left arrow but could not get it to work and wondered if I was pressing the correct keys.

Malcolm_Brown
January 20th, 2015, 09:22 AM
I have looked at the GRUB menu and I have this version.....

GNU GRUB version 2.02^beta2-9ubuntu1

A line in it says ..... linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-44-generic

Not certain if that helps, but hope it does!

MAFoElffen
January 20th, 2015, 04:23 PM
On boot, at the Grub menu > Press the <E> key. That will put you into edit mode. Go to the end of that kernel boot line that starts with "linux" and append with

nomodeset

Then press <cntrl><X> to boot... see if that works...

Intel drivers in Xorg are opensource. Intel provides their own source for their GPU's. They usually do not have troubles... I note "usually." There have been times when their provide was wrong or that the code hadn't caught up in time...

greenthumb88
July 8th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I see that Xorg says your driver loaded, and said it had no errors... but you are getting a black screen.
So in your upgrade was linux-image-generic:i386 (3.13.0.43.50, 3.13.0.44.51) and libc6:i386 (2.19-0ubuntu6.4, 2.19-0ubuntu6.5)... You didn't have an XServer update, so still running the same xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1.3 driver that was before that update.

Could you post your sources.list... or check it yourself and see if your have proposed selected for some reason... I see that kernel update as proposed but not release for main consumption yet... so wondering if you are in a test slice or something else.

Do a test, as the BIOS Post is finishing, start pressing your <left-shift> key intermittently. When your grub menu shows... <Arrow-down> to the other kernel submenu option. Select that, then select the last kernel and boot. Tell me if that starts your desktop with graphics.

I'm having a similar issue, but after booting with a different kernel I did have graphics at boot. I'm not sure why it worked this time, and would like help fixing the newer kernel if that is the issue.

greenthumb88
July 8th, 2015, 06:33 PM
seems like the lasted update messed with my xorg drivers. booted using proprietary and drivers and all is good for now.