PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I install Kompozer manually?

KayeNg
January 14th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Hi guys.

First off, I know you guys are going to tell me to try something other than Kompozer because it's been years since it was last updated, and it has already been removed from the repository. But I'm a new Linux user and at this point, it doesn't really matter to me if Kompozer isn't the ideal web editor to use anymore. I NEED to learn how to install software manually, without using Synaptic, Software Center, and the like.

So, I've downloaded Kompozer from it's website. It's a tar.gz file. I have extracted it to a newly created folder on the desktop. Now what?
There's no "install" or "configure" among the extracted files. How do I install it then?

By the way, I think I've installed the "build essentials" or something thru the terminal. I'm using Lubuntu.

Thank you very much for your time.

steeldriver
January 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM
The download page (http://www.kompozer.net/download.php) has a section called "Building from source" with a link to this instruction page (http://kompozer.sourceforge.net/dev/). Good luck.

Bucky Ball
January 14th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Pity. I used Kompozer for ages and not for a few years. Was about to install it again as I am going to need something like it soon. Thanks for the link(s) steeldriver. I might dig around for an alternative. ;)

* Just been sniffing about. Surprising there is no wysiwyg web app available that I can find for Linux/Ubuntu. Pity Kompozer died. I loved it! ;(

While I know some basics, no way am I a html coding guru enough to design a web page via code alone.

steeldriver
January 14th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I should note that I haven't actually tried it :)

I did use Kompozer on Windows recently to re-do a personal web page (after making the TERRIBLE mistake of trying to modify it in LibreOffice), and quite liked it

Bucky Ball
January 14th, 2015, 03:08 PM
It is good, KayeNg, as steeldriver mentions, and worth a try if the Linux version still operates OK on recent Ubuntu releases. ;)

I used it in combination with Filezilla, Filezilla to upload/download things to the webhost.

KayeNg
January 15th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys. The "building from source" link by Steeldriver has a deb package, so I used that for my desktop. It (Kompozer) works fine for my latest Lubuntu. I will soon try building from source for my laptop.
Thanks again!