PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] boot-repair couldn't fix my issue

ashu2
January 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM
I have HP Envy 700-430QE desktop with Window 8.1. Ubuntu is installed successfully. I am facing issues with the GRUB or boot loader. GRUB2 is also installed but i am facing some strange behavior:
1) If i select Ubuntu in GRUB2 screen - it loads successfully. After restart-it comes back to GRUB2 screen only. Ubuntu is my default choice.
2) But if i load Windows 8.1-it also loads successfully but after restart from the windows - Windows simply changes the boot loader order in my BIOS(it's AMI BIOS). Then i have to manually move Ubuntu higher than Windows boot loader...but anytime if i go into Windows - Windows simply changes the bootloader order and moves Windows Bootloader above ubuntu.

This is a OEM-windows 8.1 pre-installed PC. I have done manual partitions for ubuntu-"/" and one for swap.
Then i tried boot-repair and the pastebin URL is:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/9736330/

boot-repair couldn't change this behavior too....As of now - anytime i need to load ubuntu-i need to go into BIOS...change the bootloader and then go to ubuntu.

Any help - would be highly appreciated. I am using live USB to install ubuntu desktop.It's 64 bit version.
Snapshot of my BIOS bootloader screen
https://plus.google.com/u/0/107935990403047532803/posts/ABh9sEpK3Dr?pid=6103972550387111010&oid=107935990403047532803

ashu2
January 14th, 2015, 12:45 AM
It's fixed now.:p
I had forgotten to read these lines in my boot-repair report:
If your computer reboots directly into Windows, try to change the boot order in your BIOS.
If your BIOS does not allow to change the boot order, change the default boot entry of the Windows bootloader.
For example you can boot into Windows, then type the following command in an admin command prompt:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

After executing
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
'in my Windows 8.1 command prompt - it's been fixed now....and everything is working as expected.