PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Computers

Matthew_Harrop
January 11th, 2015, 10:47 PM
In the coming days I am moving house and I have a couple of computers to transport.

Does anybody have any tips/experiences/stories to share on the transport of Desktop towers, screens and laptops?

Irihapeti
January 11th, 2015, 11:21 PM
When I moved house several years ago, I went to a local computer shop and got a box and packing for my desktop tower. I think I just used corrugated cardboard for wrapping around the screen.

Probably, the most important thing is that the people doing the cartage understand that they're dealing with fragile equipment. Personally, I had no problems either with the carriers or the storage facility I used for a couple of months.

I've not had any experience with transporting a laptop. My "laptop" was my EeePC900 and I carried that with me as I needed it while the desktop was in storage. It's still working, so presumably it survived.

QIII
January 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM
With desktops, I box them with packing material and make sure they are positioned horizontally with the motherboard at the "bottom". That keeps the HSF and graphics cards from flexing the motherboard. That, or you could remove the graphics card and HSF temporarily.

buzzingrobot
January 12th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Put labels on cords, cables and such identifying what they do and what hardware they're used with. Try to pack them inside the box containing that hardware. Ditto mice and keyboards.

d-cosner
January 12th, 2015, 12:19 AM
If it is cold where you are, make sure you let the computer warm up before turning it on. Hard drives will fail if they get real cold and are powered on.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 13th, 2015, 01:15 AM
@QIII +1

if i were do do that i would have to remove my CPU cooler, i have one of the biggest air coolers on the market (NH-D14)

Habitual
January 13th, 2015, 03:23 AM
Put labels on cords, cables and such identifying what they do and what hardware they're used with. Try to pack them inside the box containing that hardware. Ditto mice and keyboards.

Take lots of pictures of the system as it is now.

Gustaf_Alhll
January 13th, 2015, 08:55 PM
I'm moving mine once every week, pretty much. So I'm used to the work of moving computers here and there.

Here are some things you should think of:
* The electric switch on the back of the computer(s) should be switched off when transported. Not exactly sure why it really helps, but it definetely does.
* Make sure to place you computer(s) in a place where they won't move. If you don't, the computer(s) can take significant damages (They rarely break, though. Unless you hit a tree).
* Drive carefully. Even on roads where the are no bumps, the computer(s) can still hit something when you brake, for example. This is also why you shouldn't have your computer loose, as mensioned above.

Matthew_Harrop
January 13th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll take all of this into consideration!
@Gustaf_alhll I wasn't aware of the switch, I'll make sure that's turned off.