PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] xubuntu-default-settings

nep-nori
January 9th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forums although I've been using the 'Buntus full-time for around 2 years now.

Basically, I'm going to build up a custom Desktop from the trusty tahr mini.iso (net install is it called?) and I was wondering what exactly is the purpose of xubuntu-default-settings, and for that matter, lubuntu-default-settings, ubuntu-default etc.?

Is it purely cosmetic or are those packages actually useful in some way?

Dennis N
January 9th, 2015, 05:48 AM
According to it's description, xubuntu-default-settings installs all the default settings, artwork, fonts, themes, greeter configuration, and so on for xfce. It's a dependency of xubunutu-desktop. Sounds useful to me.

kerry_s
January 9th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forums although I've been using the 'Buntus full-time for around 2 years now.

Basically, I'm going to build up a custom Desktop from the trusty tahr mini.iso (net install is it called?) and I was wondering what exactly is the purpose of xubuntu-default-settings, and for that matter, lubuntu-default-settings, ubuntu-default etc.?

Is it purely cosmetic or are those packages actually useful in some way?

if your building up from the mini.iso, then i would just consider them bloat. just stick to the main apps you want, the 1's to get you up and running in the gui. once you have a running de/wm you can figure out what you want from there. apps will bring in things like icons, themes, etc.. as a dependency, so your going to get a lot of stuff you probably don't want anyways.

nep-nori
January 11th, 2015, 10:15 PM
As I am now typing this from my "vanilla Ubuntu" gotten from the mini.iso, with XFCE4 on top, I'd say xubuntu-default-settings is a useless package.

Thread marked as solved.

kerry_s
January 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM
As I am now typing this from my "vanilla Ubuntu" gotten from the mini.iso, with XFCE4 on top, I'd say xubuntu-default-settings is a useless package.

Thread marked as solved.

congrats on your successful build. i was thinking about doing the same with debian testing or arch.
right now i'm downloading manjaro xfce4 version to try. i'm looking for a nice rolling release setup, not sure what i want the base to be yet.

nep-nori
January 11th, 2015, 11:57 PM
congrats on your successful build. i was thinking about doing the same with debian testing or arch.
right now i'm downloading manjaro xfce4 version to try. i'm looking for a nice rolling release setup, not sure what i want the base to be yet.

thank you. Although I'm about to start a different topic regarding file-roller and xarchiver because I seem to have installed them both somehow (dependencies most likely) and I'd like to know if I can safely axe file-roller without missing functionality.

kerry_s
January 12th, 2015, 12:38 AM
just try it

sudo apt-get purge file-roller

it will ask if you want to proceed

kerry_s
January 12th, 2015, 01:25 AM
i just did a full debian install so i can get use to it
i used the net installer, so i can actually select what ever i want to install. i went with the default for now. it's been years since i last used pure debian. later i'll proably do a custom install.
right now i'm just using the default which is gnome 3 shell, it's like a cheap unity install. lol