PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thunderbird/FireTray icon missing from Notification Area - Xubuntu

Tristan_Williams
January 6th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Xubuntu 14.10
Thunderbird 31.3.0
FireTray 0.5.4

I've got the Notification Area on the panel at the top of the screen. I installed FireTray like I always do when I upgraded to 14.10, and it worked fine.
I have no idea what happened, it just stopped showing the icon one day. Thunderbird still starts on login, and is technically "minimized to tray", but the icon is missing.
Opening thunderbird from the applications menu seems to do the same thing as the FireTray icon, but it's seriously hurting my productivity.

Any ideas on what might fix it?

sandyd
January 6th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Moved to Desktop Environments

Rex Bouwense
January 6th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I don't know how it could have been deleted but perhaps it is not loaded by default in Xubuntu when you upgraded. Right click on the panel and add notification area.

Habitual
January 6th, 2015, 05:26 PM
What does Preferences show?

Tristan_Williams
January 6th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I don't know how it could have been deleted but perhaps it is not loaded by default in Xubuntu when you upgraded. Right click on the panel and add notification area.

The Notification Area is on the panel. Other icons from the Notification Area are shown, just not the Thunderbird Icon.

What does Preferences show?

The settings for minimizing to tray on close and minimize are checked.

Thunderbird is still minimizing to the tray, it's just not showing the icon.

Habitual
January 6th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Tristan:

While looking into this. My Firetray updated itself to 0.5.4 and my icon was shown with typical "missing" eg:
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/oxygen-icons.org/oxygen/256/Status-image-missing-icon.png
So hating that. I went back to 0.5.3 downloaded from
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/firetray/versions/?
I'd try an earlier version..
Yes, it's old, but I can't live without that indicator showing how many...

Hope that helps.
JJ

Subscribed with interest...

Tristan_Williams
January 6th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Tristan:

While looking into this. My Firetray updated itself to 0.5.4 and my icon was shown with typical "missing" eg:
So hating that. I went back to 0.5.3 downloaded from
Subscribed with interest...

Thanks a lot. That fixed it

Habitual
January 6th, 2015, 11:47 PM
Glad it worked out!