PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about Unity desktop

jacatone
January 5th, 2015, 08:18 PM
With Unity can the icon panel on the left be moved to the bottom like the Mac docking port? Also, can Gnome replace Unity so all the menus are at the top? Thanks.

deadflowr
January 5th, 2015, 10:14 PM
First one, no.

Second one, yes.
Or rather you can install gnome classic(An old gnome lookalike) to replace unity.

Two threads on tweaking gnome flashback
for 12.04
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370
and for 14.04
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264

mooreted
January 6th, 2015, 04:56 AM
You could auto hide the Unity panel and use a dock like Cairo-Dock or Docky. Or you could do what I did and install Gnome-Shell and Gnome-Desktop. Using Gnome extensions I put an Application menu in the top bar, moved my system icons to the top bar, installed Docky Dock, disabled the upper left hot corner and the bottom notification bar. Once you tweak Gnome to your tastes it's pretty sweet.

jacatone
January 6th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Cool looking Mooreted. I'll try to emulate it.

Bucky Ball
January 6th, 2015, 08:15 AM
@mooreted: Please attach large images. Spare a thought for those with slow connections. Thanks. Looks good, though. ;)

(Use 'Go Advanced' or 'Adv Reply' and the paperclip icon along top toolbar of that edit box.)

mooreted
January 6th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Oops, sorry. :)

buzzingrobot
January 6th, 2015, 03:34 PM
With Unity can the icon panel on the left be moved to the bottom like the Mac docking port? Also, can Gnome replace Unity so all the menus are at the top? Thanks.

Unity's Launcher can't be relocated. It can be set, via System Settings, to autohide and the resistance to pressure can be set low to decrease the chance of accidentally exposing it with a wayward mouse cursor, It's still there, though.

Gnome's version of a dock is also fixed to the left side. You can add various extensions to alter its behavior, but you can't relocate it. The best, I think, is Dash To Dock.

Gnome can be installed on an Ubuntu Unity system and selected as the interface at log in. Or, a clean install of the Ubuntu Gnome distro can be done.