PDA

View Full Version : I fried my Time Base Corrector...

JimmyJames89
January 5th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Helloo - I hope this is an acceptable cafe topic =] I'm having an electronical nightmare!

I recently bought a Key West Time Base Corrector, Big Voodoo TBCV10. It all worked fine and dandy when I turned off GenLock and retuned the US settings to something a little more Australian. However, I was transferring a tape and noticed that while it cleaned up the video this particular VCR was producing a lot of 'teethy' horizontal outlines on the picture. I turned on the VCR menu and saw really fuzzy edged text. I changed the VCR but I must have man handled the TBC (like, holding the front panel with all the buttons against my chest whille yanking on a stiff cable) and now all I get from a simple composite video stack is a black screen of death. You can see the square stop symbol, rolling around on the screen (horizontally moving across the screen while the picture scrolls vertically). The composite loopthrough shows the video fine, stop symbol & blue background.

I've tested a little with S-Video from my DVD-R (DVD RCA > TBC > SVIDEO TO TV) and it comes out super clear (but B&W because I haven't changed the DVD-R's output settings.) MY VCR and DVR doesn't allow for S-Video connections. I have an SVHS player but there's a dead tranny inside of it... :cry:

http://support.keywesttechnology.com/downloads/support/Big%20Voodoo/BVTBC/Manual/BVTBC8_10%20Manual.pdf

I've restored factory defaults the best I can but the manual above says to 'contact the factory for reset instructions as it requires removal from the case and internal jumper settings'. I have contacted the factory but I am skeptical that they'll reply as this product is discontinued.

Any electrical/AV nuts know what's going on?