PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer freezes during upgrade

k33bz
January 2nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
I have an all in one Sony computer that I have been using as a MAME arcade system. It was running 10.04LTS, so today I decided to update it to 12.04LTS. Yes I know I am far behind on my updates.
First I did a partial upgrade, which everything went as expected. Then I went to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04. It goes through the checklist of preparing to upgrade, setting new software channels, getting new packages just fine. However within 5 mins of starting to install the upgrades, my computer freezes, I can feel the vibration of the HDD going when I touch the computer, but the screen itself is frozen and unresponsive. Been this way for the last hour.

Should I just leave it alone and see what happens, or should I hard boot it and try again?

Tuxclear
January 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
How do you upgrade? Do you know in which package have you stuck?

Bucky Ball
January 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Yes, just leave it. It can take some time, even a couple of hours, then springs back to life. ;)

Did you have any third-party PPAs you installed manually? They can be problematic, but for now, sit it out for awhile. Also depends on your network speed.

It is best to do it plugged in with a cable and not wirelessly. If there's an issue after a couple of hours of blank screen but disk activity, then we'll dig deeper. :-k

k33bz
January 2nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
I had 3 third party ppa's, but it mentioned that those have been disabled that I can re-enable after update. Currently still frozen, not a blank screen, just showing the distrubution upgrade progress bar, which has not moved at all, but still have hdd activity going on.

Tuxclear
January 3rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
A better way to upgrade is using an .iso image of the version you want to upgrade: Click installation, check install updates and third-party software and click next on upgrade Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04.