PDA

View Full Version : problems when installing Ubuntu

Willem_Verbeeck
December 30th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi,
I'm very new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install Ubuntu off a Usb onto an old machine which currently does not have an os. I can get to the Ubuntu menu screen where I can choose to run Ubuntu off my USB or I can install it. Either one I choose there is some code that starts scrolling. Eventually it gets stuck for a while at 7.88.... With the message "SD 8:0:0:2 [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk." Then at 135.10.... It says " random: nonblocking pool is initialized". From there nothing happens anymore, I have left it for 15+ minutes and nothing happens.
Since I am new to Ubuntu I have no idea what the problem could be. I chose the 32bit operating system. The hardware is from 2006. I am using an ssd which I want to install the operating system onto.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Willem

Bucky Ball
December 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome. You shouldn't be getting that when booting from Ubuntu install media. You should be getting a list of options, one of which is 'Try Ubututu'. If you can get that far choose that option and you will get to a desktop.

With old hardware and specs, though, likely Ubuntu will be sluggish. If this is so, then try Xubuntu or Lubuntu which are more lightweight.

Which release are you attempting to install? How did you create the install media (disk or USB)?

Willem_Verbeeck
December 30th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your reply,
I am using Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS which I mounted on a USB with the software the Ubuntu site recommends. When I boot it up I can get to the menu which lets me preview Ubuntu or install it etc. It also shows the ubuntu logo. It is just when I select one of those 2 options that I see the code and that it shows the message which I posted above.

Bucky Ball
December 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
How much RAM is in the machine? If you could provide the specs of the machine it would help. 32bit gives some idea, but as I suggested, try with Xubuntu or Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and see if that makes a diff. Good luck. ;)

Just another clue: When it gets to the options to Try or Install, hit F6 and choose 'nomodeset'. I'm taking a guess here without knowing your graphics card, but might work. ;)

Willem_Verbeeck
December 30th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks, will try this later today when I get home.
Don't know all the specs but:
CPU: amd phenom x3 hd8450
GPU: ati radeon hd2000 series
Ram: 3gb
Storage: 120gb ssd

Willem_Verbeeck
December 30th, 2014, 01:40 PM
When I get to the menu and press f6 the computer just beeps and nothing comes up.