PDA

View Full Version : If you could have 1 game ported natively to linux what would it be?

wolfguy14
December 27th, 2014, 05:42 AM
So pretty much title says. I would have skyrim ported to linux, even though I do love morrowind, oblivion and fallout 3 and nv, skyrim just has the most playability to me and I can't get it working in wine nor do I want a second steam app.

kostkon
December 27th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Oh, I'd like to see a lot of (mostly older) games being ported, but this game (http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380) would be at the top of my list.

wolfguy14
December 27th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Sorry bro, but I can guarantee age of empires won't come to linux...like ever. Since age of empires is a microsoft intellectual property I doubt they'd spend money and time to put it on a competitor operating system

michael-piziak
December 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Have you two tried 0 A.D. ? My brother in law says it's like Age of Empires.
It's in the Software Center.

wolfguy14
December 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I tried it in windows a while ago. I thought it had potential but I was waiting a few years for it to have more content. But the idea of a open source strategy game seems awesome!. Wonder if someone would make a open source version of civ :)

Elfy
December 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

oldrocker99
December 28th, 2014, 05:54 PM
So pretty much title says. I would have skyrim ported to linux, even though I do love morrowind, oblivion and fallout 3 and nv, skyrim just has the most playability to me and I can't get it working in wine nor do I want a second steam app.

That's interesting that you can't sun Skyrim. I got it working with the PlayOnLinux script, which installs Steam for Windows (and it will assume it's on a new computer, and you'll have to use email to verify it) and the various dependencies required, and then you open SFW and install Skyrim. It works very, very well for me. I also, in the same Steam account, installed Oblivion, and it runs very, very well, too.

The best source (and the newest version, newer than the version in the Ubuntu repositories) is http://www.playonlinux.com/en/. You do have to have wine installed before you install it. To install it, open a terminal and type

sudo dpkg -i PlayOnLinux_4.2.5.deb

That's the fastest way to install it. You can find the Skyrim installation script in the POL install menu called "The Elder Scrolls:Skyrim." It should give you satisfaction, and allow you to play this excellent game, and, for me at least, its predecessor.

WinEunuchs2Unix
December 28th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Oh, I'd like to see a lot of (mostly older) games being ported, but this game (http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380) would be at the top of my list.

The AoE II link you posted is written by Microsoft Studios? If so the odds of MS porting it to Linux are slim to none.

I'm on record saying "I don't do games" but I picked up Mass Effect Trilogy for xmas holiday boredom so ME would get my vote. I don't know if BioWare Edmonton or BioWare Montreal has the programming talent to do this but it would be great if they could.

mips
December 28th, 2014, 07:11 PM
The Thief series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(series))!

There's an opensource alternative called The Dark Mod based on the id Tech4 engine which is really good.
http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Mod

linuxyogi
December 29th, 2014, 01:54 AM
NFS series. All of them.

SantaFe
December 29th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Red Storm Rising by Microprose. There's just something fun about sneaking your Nuclear attack sub up on Russian aircraft carriers/ missile subs & blowing them out of the water. :D

wolfguy14
December 29th, 2014, 07:09 AM
The AoE II link you posted is written by Microsoft Studios? If so the odds of MS porting it to Linux are slim to none.

I'm on record saying "I don't do games" but I picked up Mass Effect Trilogy for xmas holiday boredom so ME would get my vote. I don't know if BioWare Edmonton or BioWare Montreal has the programming talent to do this but it would be great if they could.

Ea said they are interested in putting their online digital games storefront on linux a while ago, and Dice have said they are interested in working on putting battlefield on linux. But no news has come up since 2013. Still there is atleast a chance Mass effect could be ported :p

Gustaf_Alhll
December 31st, 2014, 01:33 PM
The classic DOOM 2. I miss that game. Used to be my favorite game, but that went away since I got Linux.
Yes, you can say that you can play it with an emulator, but the problem is that the original game is very unstable nowadays and you're better of getting a source port for the game (I've actually tried emulating it and it barely worked. It got major issues with visuals and sounds).

mips
December 31st, 2014, 03:16 PM
Yes, you can say that you can play it with an emulator, but the problem is that the original game is very unstable nowadays and you're better of getting a source port for the game (I've actually tried emulating it and it barely worked. It got major issues with visuals and sounds).

Even in dosbox?

Gustaf_Alhll
December 31st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Even in dosbox?

Yep, can't even get that to launch. Tried various source ports and so on, none of them works. The closest I got was by using GZDoom source port, since there was just a few minor problems the first time I ran it. After that, bigger issues came.
The only operating system that this seems to work on is Windows since that's the only operating system which I can get the game to play correctly.

Other than that, I already got some great games that works as replacement such as Super Win the Game, Trine 2 and Dust: An Elysian Tail (Glad he made a Linux port for that game). So I don't really care.

mateo14
March 12th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Have you two tried 0 A.D. ? My brother in law says it's like Age of Empires.
It's in the Software Center.

I think he should try to run Open age (Age of Empires 2) on Linux:

http://openage.sft.mx

Matthew_Harrop
March 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I'd love Homeworld 2 on my Mac.
Best game ever made, I'll fight anybody that says otherwise ;)

mastablasta
March 12th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Yep, can't even get that to launch. Tried various source ports and so on, none of them works. The closest I got was by using GZDoom source port, since there was just a few minor problems the first time I ran it. After that, bigger issues came.
The only operating system that this seems to work on is Windows since that's the only operating system which I can get the game to play correctly.

Other than that, I already got some great games that works as replacement such as Super Win the Game, Trine 2 and Dust: An Elysian Tail (Glad he made a Linux port for that game). So I don't really care.

I am not sure what you are doing, but prboom (in the repositories) should launch just fine. by default a custom .wad file is launched. you need to point it to "doom.wad" to play the original file. looks very much like original game.

similary doomsday engine works flawlessly if you have driver support. mine crashes with AMD opensouce drivers. it looks better than original.

dosbox version also work well. but that's under emulator.

Dragonbite
March 12th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Most of the games such as Minecraft and Tremulous work great (or even better than on Windows) on Linux!

The only game I would want on Linux that isn't working so well for me is World of Tanks. I have a PC I had installed Ubuntu 14.10 on and World of Tanks via PlayOnLinux and it did alright. Then I had Windows 7 installed on the same machine, and World of Tanks works and looks much better.

My laptop is dual-boot and while World of Tanks works in Windows, it doesn't even fully start up in Linux.

I know neither device is a gaming system, and in both cases the graphics are set to minimum.

flaymond
March 18th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Age of Empire II is the best game I ever played. From the Europe to modern era, the idea is very nice. I really hope it will be OSS and can be ported to Linux.

nargaroth_reg
March 21st, 2015, 03:49 PM
Pirates of the Burning Sea, the best MMORPG I've played. Can be run with wine but the installer doesn't work and its better on windows, at least with my system I experience less crashes and I can use higher graphics settings.