PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend an Android music player app?

coldraven
December 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM
As the title says especially if it will work nicely on a cheap tablet.
Thanks

westie457
December 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM
If nothing else is suggested there is always vlc for Android from videolan.

coldraven
December 26th, 2014, 01:50 PM
If nothing else is suggested there is always vlc for Android from videolan.

Thanks, I did not know about that.
Many years ago I lived in Exbury which as the crow flies is only about 10 miles from Fareham.
Now I'm banished to the Northern Isles and news gets here slowly :)

Elfy
December 26th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Many years ago I lived in Exbury which as the crow flies is only about 10 miles from Fareham. ...

Can just about see it if I lean out of the window upstairs - the crows I hear every morning ...

coldraven
December 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Can just about see it if I lean out of the window upstairs - the crows I hear every morning ...
But after Exbury I moved to Beaulieu and spent a winter next to the river just up from Bucklers Hard. Maybe less strain on your neck :)

westie457
December 26th, 2014, 04:10 PM
My view of Exbury was more or less blocked by Fawley refinery. When I was tiny lived with the family in New Milton, a figurative stone's throw from Beaulieu.

Elfy
December 26th, 2014, 04:44 PM
when I was a nipper it was Ashley :)

coldraven
December 26th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Sadly I have lost contact with the friends (and enemies) that I had down there. I used to drink in the Brockenhurst Hotel, the public bar was a riot sometimes.
After many, many losses I eventually beat the reigning pool champion only to be beaten by his fairly average girlfriend. IIRC they were bikers and not to be unduly upset!
Happy days!! Seek me out if you ever go extremely North :)

Elfy
December 26th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Happy days!! Seek me out if you ever go extremely North :)

Just past Salisbury then :D

coldraven
December 26th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Just past Salisbury then :grin:
LOL I think you need to be a bit more adventurous :)

Edit:Somebody left a bottle of Glenmorangie in my unlocked car yesterday. I have no idea who it was but I must have helped at least one person this year.
My spelling may deteriorate shortly. Hurrah for spell-checkers. Meeerrryy Chriftmas!

Elfy
December 26th, 2014, 06:52 PM
:)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 27th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Not sure what your needs are for a music player, assuming you can use HTML5 on your phone you can set this up and stream your music to your phone
https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-62850/HTML5-Music-Player (works great if you use a bookmark to open it in your firefox sidebar)
i made this and put it on a rPi which also has owncloud syncing my music between devices
my pi also can play my library and with that i can stream it to any device i am using (i used a .htaccess file to require a username/password)
probably not the best idea if you have a data limit, but if you run your own server you can have a few TB of music to stream to your phone

sffvba[e0rt
December 27th, 2014, 02:50 AM
I have found that Google's own Music app works fine (as do most players on Android). Heck, even Samsungs music app does what is required :p

linuxyogi
December 27th, 2014, 03:36 AM
I am new to Android. This is (http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_fonepad_7-5674.php) my first android device. I thought because Android is based on Linux all major media players that are available under Linux must have been ported to Android too. I found VLC but am not sure about mplayer. There are some players with a somewhat similar name.

coldraven
December 27th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Not sure what your needs are for a music player, assuming you can use HTML5 on your phone you can set this up and stream your music to your phone
https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-62850/HTML5-Music-Player (works great if you use a bookmark to open it in your firefox sidebar)
i made this and put it on a rPi which also has owncloud syncing my music between devices
my pi also can play my library and with that i can stream it to any device i am using (i used a .htaccess file to require a username/password)
probably not the best idea if you have a data limit, but if you run your own server you can have a few TB of music to stream to your phone

Thanks for that link. I had not thought of that solution but it could be the way to go. I'm trying to help my local pub, the landlord has an elderly ipod and he is driven mad by itunes. It occasionally decides to delete all the tracks from the ipod!

I thought that a cheap Android tablet could live in the bar plugged into the stereo. He already has a Windows desktop and a Nexus 10.
I could put Ubuntu server in a VM on the Windows box. WTG! Or maybe just install WAMP although I would be worried about its security.
I wonder if it's possible to extract all the tracks from itunes and banish it forever.

Elfy, did you sneak in here and drink half my bottle of Glenmorangie?

Elfy
December 27th, 2014, 02:29 PM
not if it's too far north of Salisbury I didn't :lol:

-Marco
December 27th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I'd love Xperia's Music Player. it is full of really interesting functions. Just download and install the .apk, preferably on rooted systems.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 27th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks for that link. I had not thought of that solution but it could be the way to go. I'm trying to help my local pub, the landlord has an elderly ipod and he is driven mad by itunes. It occasionally decides to delete all the tracks from the ipod!

I thought that a cheap Android tablet could live in the bar plugged into the stereo. He already has a Windows desktop and a Nexus 10.
I could put Ubuntu server in a VM on the Windows box. WTG! Or maybe just install WAMP although I would be worried about its security.
I wonder if it's possible to extract all the tracks from itunes and banish it forever.

Elfy, did you sneak in here and drink half my bottle of Glenmorangie?
i have used xampp on windows for server services (been years though)
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
for my ipod shuffle i use a python script to update it
http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

Tar_Ni
December 28th, 2014, 02:24 AM
VLC Media Player for Android. It is available on the Google Play Store or F-Droid. Plays all files, audio and video libraries, with full search.. Works great for me.

http://lifehacker.com/vlc-for-android-finally-reaches-full-stable-version-1668394621

coldraven
December 29th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try them out in the New Year.

nerdtron
December 30th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Well I tried a lot of music player but I keep sticking with Rocket Player. The folder play is a must have for me and the overall UI is quite good looking compared to others. (definitely worth paring for the pro version)

user1397
December 31st, 2014, 09:01 AM
I personally just use google play music for local files, and pandora for internet radio. Also use vlc for any weird format audio/video files.

nerdtron
December 31st, 2014, 02:15 PM
And for video files, MXPlayer hasn't let me down. I have some .ogm video files which vlc mobile won't recognize as video but plays flawlessly on mxplayer. Gestures on playback control are added bonus.

mc4man
December 31st, 2014, 07:41 PM
I use google play, mx, & for internet radio currently xiialive
(- will have to give rocket player a try & will be curious to see foobar2000, hopefully early next year

codingman
January 2nd, 2015, 11:47 PM
I second Rocket Player, handles folders quite well, and I love the desktop widgets!