PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] dpkg/status corruption question

f3isar
December 22nd, 2014, 09:36 AM
Hi All,

I've just had a strange thing happen, my /var/lib/dpkg/status file got currupted. I clean installed xubuntu a couple of days ago, then the nvidia drivers and then Steam a long with a couple of games.

I was then given this error when attempting to install/update packages:

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 27803 package 'gcr':
field name `°[?@' must be followed by colon
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

So I checked /var/lib/dpkg/status and sure enough this appeared near 27803:

Description: GNOME crypto services (daemon and tools)
GCR is a library for crypto UI and related tasks.
This package contai<9c>^@^@^@^D ÃÃJ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^F^AïE^L^@r and prompter
^D°^D[?@^@^@^@ÿÿÿÿÿÿ<8c>ÃÃr^NÃÿÿÿÿÿÿpã^@^Nairdrawndagger^A^D^B^D^K^ V2^H^L^R^X$0H`l-^Zl^X^Zÿÿ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^^A^@^A^@^C^E^@^@^@^@^@Ã^^^@<90>L3l^X^Zÿÿ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ @^@^A^A^@^@ÿ^A^@^@^@^@^@1à ^K^Salled

The entries for GCR and ALSA-Utils had kinda merged with the above garbage in between. I was able to copy them back in from the /var/lib/dpkg/status-old file and the system can update again.

What I find really odd is that within that garbled text is the word 'airdrawndagger' which was, about a year ago, a wireless SSID I used.

As this is a fresh install (in fact the hardware was not even in the house when airdrawndagger existed), does anyone have any idea how that word would have ended up in my /var/lib/dpkg/status file?

As far as I'm aware the only device which has connected to this xubuntu box and had previously connected to airdrawndagger is the smart TV it's connected to.