PDA

View Full Version : Installing just Linux Ubuntu by removing ChromeOS

harry28
December 21st, 2014, 11:40 PM
A couple of months ago I installed Linux Ubuntu on my Acer C720 Chromebook along side ChromeOS (have to press Ctrl D when I turn it on) and it has been running great. However since it is only a 16gb SSD, there is hardly any space since there are two OS's and having to press Ctrl D on start up and then having to go into the terimal to boot up Linux is getting kinda annoying. Since I am not using ChromeOS nearly as much as a thought (only using it to boot up Linux), I want to install just Linux Ubuntu and get rid of ChromeOS. I know there are alot of wikis online telling how to install Linux however I am getting really confused about which is the right method. Since I have only had it a few months I don't want to void the warranty by upgrading the SSD (might consider it when the warranty is no longer valid). So how would I go about installing just Linux Ubuntu (preferably ,open to other suggestions) on my Chromebook, removing ChromeOS and not voiding the warranty

TheFu
December 22nd, 2014, 01:45 AM
I know there are alot of wikis online telling how to install Linux however I am getting really confused about which is the right method.

There is no "right method." Pick one that seems like what you want and try it. If you don't open the chromebook, you won't void the warranty.

Of course, before starting this task, definitely backup anything you don't want to lose - you will be wiping the SSD completely, so everything on it will be gone.

It might be a really good idea to create a chromeos save-your-butt flash loader first. Just follow the google instructions to do that and I'd use the right USB port, not the left. For some reason, the left one never worked for me for this purpose on my C720.