PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Not recognizing Linux os on dual boot of linux

Barsoom88
December 21st, 2014, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone,
I have trying to dual boot (any) two linux distros and each one does not recognize the other. The HD is 640gb. I have tried all the variants but the odd thing is the new versions will see the old unsupported ones but not any of the newer ones. Any suggestions or links?
Thanks,
B

sudodus
December 21st, 2014, 07:58 PM
Please describe your installation! Which linux distros and versions? How were they installed?

And please show the partitions and file systems: Post the output of the following commands and put it within code tags.

sudo parted -l

df

Barsoom88
December 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM
Sudodus,
Thanks for the quick reply! There is nothing wrong with my current install only when I try to dual boot another linux os. Currently I am running lubuntu 14.04 but when I try to dual boot ubuntu 14.04 it gives me a "no operating system" and will only allow a full install of ubuntu. I have scoured the internet and have found no answers. I have tried to dual boot many other distros (even switching them) with the same results. I prefer to have two
linux instead of windows & linux dual boot.
B

Bashing-om
December 21st, 2014, 08:40 PM
Barsoom88; Hello;

We want to know that you have not used up the 4 primary partitions on the hard disk. With the 'legacy' partition scheme there is a 4 primary partition limit. We need to look and see what is !

As requested by sudodus; provide - between code tags :

sudo parted -l
df

a means to move forward

Barsoom88
December 21st, 2014, 09:07 PM
Here it is!

Disk /dev/sda: 640GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 256MB 255MB primary ext2 boot
2 257MB 640GB 640GB extended
5 257MB 640GB 640GB logical

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/lubuntu--vg-root: 636GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 636GB 636GB ext4

Error: /dev/mapper/lubuntu--vg-swap_1: unrecognised disk label

Error: /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt: unrecognised disk label

Bashing-om
December 21st, 2014, 09:46 PM
Barsoom88; Ummphh ....

Out of my league :

Error: /dev/mapper/lubuntu--vg-swap_1: unrecognised disk label

Error: /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt: unrecognised disk label

As Logical Volume Management (LVM) AND encryption ->
is not a part of my experience pack.
Others here will advise .

some times

I just do not want to know

Barsoom88
December 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks, Bash! The problem is that I have 3 laptops and I can't dual boot (2) linux on any of them. I was hoping it was an easy fix.
B

yancek
December 21st, 2014, 10:36 PM
Your parted output in post 5 shows a small boot partition and the rest of the drive taken by an LVM partition. There is nowhere to install anything. You could install VirtualBox and run another OS from that or you could shrink the LVM partition to create space to install another OS. I've never used LVM so don't know how to do it but it can be done. I don't understand how you would get a "no operating system found" message if you can't install. More details might help. I usually have 10 or more different Linux systems installed just to test so it's not that difficult.

Barsoom88
December 21st, 2014, 11:48 PM
Yancek,
Thanks for the response. The installer gives me no other option "No operating system found" instead of install "along side of" as the older linux distros have done for me with windows. Perhaps, you could give me a link on how to do partitioning for multiple boots? I've looked but don't get any details on how to do it.
B

sudodus
December 22nd, 2014, 01:04 AM
The problem is that you have an encrypted LVM partition, that fills most of the drive. I think most of us know how to help with normal partitions, but quite few know about encrypted LVM partitions and how to manage them. If you want to create dual boot, I suggest that you do not make an encrypted disk. Encrypted home is easier to manage (or no encryption at all).

yancek
December 22nd, 2014, 02:17 AM
The link below is an excellent tutorial on a standard installation for Ubuntu which has a lot of detail as well as links to partitioning.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-14-04-install-guide.html

The link below has some good information on LVM, scroll about half way down the page to 'Resizing a Logical Volume'.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/40702/how-to-manage-and-use-lvm-logical-volume-management-in-ubuntu/

Barsoom88
December 22nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Yancek,
After some tinkering it is indeed the LVM! By not booting in LVM I was able to dual boot! However, is the security of my system less than it should?
But that question is for another thread.
Thanks for all your help!
B