PDA

View Full Version : Email from the Indian Income Tax authorities

vasa1
December 20th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Clearly, we have a long way to go :(

But, happily, despite the recommendations & stipulations, I could extract and view the attached pdf file without any problems.

carl4926
December 20th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Believe it or not
There actually are people stupid enough to fall for all this *^%!

MartyBuntu
December 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Believe it or not
There actually are people stupid enough to fall for all this *^%!

I wouldn't personally refer to people that fall for phishing/malware scams as "stupid". They are still victims, regardless of how much computer knowledge they have or do not have.

vasa1
December 20th, 2014, 04:35 PM
That wasn't a phishing email. It was genuine but the sad thing was how a government agency is conveying the impression that proprietary software is necessary to read a pdf file.

Bucky Ball
December 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
That wasn't a phishing email. It was genuine but the sad thing was how a government agency is conveying the impression that proprietary software is necessary to read a pdf file.

That's what I thought you meant. ;)

Mike_Walsh
December 20th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Hm.

As I understand it, absolutely everybody IN India uses, or expects you to use, Windows. Apparently, nothing else is acceptable.

I suspect the powers-that-be have got themselves 'locked' into a supply contract with MS, and either can't see a viable way out of it, or else they genuinely believe it to be the most acceptable option.....and therefore see the widespread adoption of it's use by the citizenry as the natural consequence of those actions.

"If it's good enough for us..." I wonder if the Indian authorities are still struggling along with XP? :-k

Go figure.

Regards,

Mike.

SeijiSensei
December 20th, 2014, 05:32 PM
South Korea passed legislation years ago that requires the use of Internet Explorer for all online shopping and banking transactions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/due-to-security-law-south-korea-is-stuck-with-internet-explorer-for-online-shopping/2013/11/03/ffd2528a-3eff-11e3-b028-de922d7a3f47_story.html

Most Korean ATMs were running on XP when it reached end-of-life this year.

http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2014/04/08/south-korean-banks-exposed-to-security-threats/

The country has been so dependent on Windows that the science, information and technology ministry mandated Korean computer users to install ActiveX controls, a Microsoft-developed set of software add-ons, and receive an online authentication certificate before conducting any online transactions.