PDA

View Full Version : adobe flashplayer problem

HR70s
December 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I have 14.04 lts. For some reason now I can't stream. I wanted to watch a rerun on CBS.com and at the top of the CBS page I get: " firefox has prevented an outdated adobe flash
from running on www.cbs.com To the right of that I have 2 boxes keep blocking and allow. If I allow I can watch the videos. I went to the terminal and ran for updates but it comes
up I already have the latest version. Any idea what's going on! Thanks HR

Bucky Ball
December 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I did a full:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

... and it fixed the problem for me. ;)

Impavidus
December 19th, 2014, 07:16 PM
If you installed flash the proper way an upgrade should give you version 11.2.202.425.

HR70s
December 21st, 2014, 03:31 AM
Hey thanks. I'll give it a shot Sunday. Working nights I live like a vampire ha ha

HR70s
December 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM
I tried
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as was suggested but it didn't help. When I check it says I have firefox ver. 30.0+build1-0ubuntu that's
exactly the way it's written. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Impavidus
December 21st, 2014, 08:31 PM
That's an outdated version too. We should have Firefox 34.

Did sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade give any errors or warnings? Please show us the full output.

HR70s
December 22nd, 2014, 08:48 PM
Solved! Downloaded Google Chrome. Now videos play fine.

Bucky Ball
December 23rd, 2014, 02:58 AM
Good news. Please mark the thread as solved (see second link in my signature).

It is odd that you have an out-of-date Firefox, though. Would have been good to see the full output of your update/upgrade, as suggested (and use [code] tags for code, please). Getting that up to date may also have worked. ;)

Good luck.

monkeybrain20122
December 23rd, 2014, 03:11 AM
Something is wrong with your Firefox or flash plugin. It works for me on Firefox 34.

Bucky Ball
December 23rd, 2014, 05:16 AM
Something is wrong with your Firefox or flash plugin. It works for me on Firefox 34.

This is what I'm thinking. :-k

If you want to fix this, perhaps post the full output of your update/upgrade commands in [code] tags. If you haven't got Firefox 34 after an update/upgrade, then something is wrong.

As I mentioned in my first post, I was getting the same error until I did an update/upgrade.

PopsTheSailor
July 18th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I know this is an old thread but WOW so helpful!!!

I'm on Firefox 39 and my flash wasn't working. I started going down the manual path of downloading latest version, uncompressing..... Then thought I would do a search in the forums. Manual process was complicated for me but I ran across this thread.

I did:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And it fixed my problem. I probably didn't need to but it recommend I run

sudo apt-get autoremove

So I did that too. Looks like it cleaned things up.

I'm posting here to keep this thread a bit more active in case others have the same issues with newer versions of FF

Thanks Bucky Ball for the directions!!!

Bucky Ball
July 18th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks Bucky Ball for the directions!!!

The pleasure is all mine. :)