PDA

View Full Version : What a great product 14.04 LTS is

roger-navai
December 18th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I have used Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for about a year on a relatively slow laptop. I wanted to express my thanks, I have not had to deal with Spyware, virus, ...... Ubuntu is solid. I really think that the people who work on developing Ubuntu should be compensated. I have seen more expert Linux people complain about Unity and Ubuntu Desktop but those people have to understand that this desktop is great for people who are used to Windows. This works so much better than Windows. All the apps available to the left, and also I can not believe that such a slow computer can work so well with this operating system.

I would like to learn more about Linux command line process but it is difficult a bit. I used to be a Windows person.

Thanks so much and keep it going.

Roger

Bucky Ball
December 18th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Welcome to the forums and nice to hear you story. ;)

(PS: As you get more into it, you might like to try out a minimal install (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) and then just install the desktop environment (Unity) and the applications you use. Should speed things up a little more. You can try on a spare partition if you have one. Good luck.)

Dragonbite
December 18th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find out there are a lot of options to help make even slow and older computers work well with Linux and Ubuntu. I have been using Ubuntu for just under 10 years now (2004-2006? I don't remember) and it has helped me to re-purpose and rejuvenate a number of older, hand-me-down or corporate-cast-off computers so that I haven't had to purchase a new computer since 2000!

So have fun, ask questions and enjoy! :)

Mike_Walsh
December 18th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

You'll find, as Dragonbite has said, that there ARE an AWFUL lot of different distros out there that work extremely well on older hardware, and help to keep them useful & productive.

I use Ubuntu myself on my 'big' machine, a 2005 Compaq Presario with an AMD Athlon 64 and 3 GB of DDR1 RAM. I've only been using it since May, but I'm hooked.

I tried it on my other machine.....a 2002 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, with an Intel Celeron and 1 GB DDR1 RAM...but it was a bit too much for the graphics. I then tried Lubuntu, the lightweight version, but the graphics problem persisted. I soon came to realise that the graphics card is one of those 'awkward' ones!

She's now running Puppy Linux 'TahrPup' 6.0.....which works perfectly. And it's based on Ubuntu anyway.....so I'm QUITE happy..!

Which just goes to show that in the Linux world (to paraphrase dating agencies!), there's a distro out there for EVERY computer...

Have fun.

Regards,

Mike. ;)

user1397
December 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM
wait til you try Kubuntu 14.04 :)