PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] /var/www/html/index

andy109
December 9th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I know how to install joomla on the root on Ubuntu server 12 because it use /var/www
but Ubuntu 14.1 I am a little bit confused
how do I install Ubuntu on the root on Ubuntu 14.1
I don't want http://mysite/joomla I want http://joomla
howdo I do this thanks

newbie-user
December 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM
You need to edit the 000-default.conf file in /etc/apache2/sites-available.

For the document root, change it from /var/www/html to /var/www/joomla

Then restart apache

andy109
December 13th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks. What I did was extracted all joomla.zip into /var/www/ so it look so messy in there then I edit /etc/apache2/apache.conf then change DirectroryPath to /var/www
it works but two thing is my concern
1. I chown /var/www to www-data:www-data then use chmod 755 to /var/www is this ok?
2. i didnt create folder in /var/www if i did that the apache wouldn't read it? or should i tell DirectoryPath to /var/www/joomla?

If I want to create virtual webserver where do i keep all folder and which files need to be configure?

thanks

newbie-user
December 15th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks. What I did was extracted all joomla.zip into /var/www/ so it look so messy in there then I edit /etc/apache2/apache.conf then change DirectroryPath to /var/www
it works but two thing is my concern
1. I chown /var/www to www-data:www-data then use chmod 755 to /var/www is this ok?
2. i didnt create folder in /var/www if i did that the apache wouldn't read it? or should i tell DirectoryPath to /var/www/joomla?

If I want to create virtual webserver where do i keep all folder and which files need to be configure?

thanks

1. Usually you want the permissions to be 644, as you don't want things to be executable by everyone.
2. If doesn't matter where you create the folder. You just need to tell apache where the Document Root is. This is done within /etc/apache2/sites-available folder, where you list all the websites that apache is responsible for.